Onboard Lan Issuse

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
A customer Brought in an HP S5713W slimline desktop computer with lan issues. All they said was it won't connect to the internet. I've been trying different things but i've gotten nowhere. I checked the bios and its enabled and ive tried three separate drivers and they all pull up this error when done.

Original NVIDIA Networking Controller Driver
"your system does not meet the minimum system requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9996)"

I thought that realtek was supposed to be on these computers but maybe i'm wrong. Can anyone help?

Solution

If there is no device showing then the system isn't detecting any Ethernet adapter. So the chip on the motherboard must be fried you'll have to add and pci-e or usb adapter.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

while i'm doing that i just checked and neither of the lights are on on the ethernet adapter either.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

alright uninstalled everything and reinstalled yours still nothing i'm gonna guess it's fried.

If the chipset driver installed without problem and it's still not working, yeah it does not look good. Are all the yellow ! in device manager gone?

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

there were never any yellow ! in the device manager thats what was throwing me off. there was no ethernet even listed at all. everything looked perfect no warnings. except for it missing completely. Could it be disabled somewhere? if not i'm gonna just tell my customer ill install them a ethernet PCI-Express card.

You might boot up in save mode (Press f8) when you boot up and go into the device manager and remove the extra drivers and just leave 1. then see if it works if not remove the LAN driver and let windows find one, or install it off the motherboard disk.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

the problem is there is no device listed to remove drivers from.

Chan-man

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

i'll check that out tomorrow but I thought the same thing. there should be lights on.

If there is no device showing then the system isn't detecting any Ethernet adapter. So the chip on the motherboard must be fried you'll have to add and pci-e or usb adapter.

Solution