Question Why do my monitors go black/lose signal when my GPU is under heavy load?

Oct 19, 2024
Hello, I've recently upgraded my PC from a 3080ti & 750W PSU to a ASUS TUF 3090 & a 1000W Gold PSU.

I mainly use my GPU for working in 3D and rendering. Ever since I upgraded and I start rendering a project, I come back to find that the monitors have gone black and when I turn them back on they just say 'no signal'. I have to hold down the power button on the PC to turn it off and then turn it back on again and the monitors come back on. I'm pretty sure it stays rendering while the monitors are off as the GPU fans can be heard still on a high RPM.

My PC Specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
RAM: 64.0 GB
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3090
PSU: Corsair RM1000e Gold (1000W)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS

Oct 19, 2024
Hey there,

Is it consistenly at load?

Have you changed cables/ports?

Have you tried uninstalling the GPU driver with DDU, and reinstalling fresh?

Are all system drivers up to date, including chipset?

What bios are you running on the mobo?

Is the 3090 new or second hand?
Hi, thanks for your response.

When rendering its at max load during every frame it renders (with a couple seconds ramp down inbetween frames.

I have not changed the cables but that is because both PSUs are Corsair PSUs and use identical Corsair type 4 cable sets.

I've just reinstalled GPU driver with DDU, updated chipset drivers and updated BIOS.

I did buy the card second hand.

I will try rendering again tonight and see if I still have the issue.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2024
Hi, thanks for your response.

When rendering its at max load during every frame it renders (with a couple seconds ramp down inbetween frames.

I have not changed the cables but that is because both PSUs are Corsair PSUs and use identical Corsair type 4 cable sets.

I've just reinstalled GPU driver with DDU, updated chipset drivers and updated BIOS.

I did buy the card second hand.

I will try rendering again tonight and see if I still have the issue.

Thanks.
Hey there,

Is it consistenly at load?

Have you changed cables/ports?

Have you tried uninstalling the GPU driver with DDU, and reinstalling fresh?

Are all system drivers up to date, including chipset?

What bios are you running on the mobo?

Is the 3090 new or second hand?
So I left my house for an hour and left it rendering after doing all the driver updates and everything, and I came back to my monitors saying no signal. PC was still working in the background because I can remote connect to it and control it. The render engine had the error 'CUDA error 999'.

TRENDING THREADS