onboard & selectable RAM question

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
I haven't bought a laptop in decades so I apologize if this is a stupid question

When customizing my Lenovo laptop I can either get 4gb onboard and 16gb selectable (20 total) or 8gb onboard and 8gb selectable (16 total) for the same price

Is there any reason (e.g. speed) to go with 8+8 or should I just get the one with more RAM overall?

Thanks in advance

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Is there any reason (e.g. speed) to go with 8+8..............

A matching memory pair (such as 8+8) will enable dual-channel mode and will give a performance increase. This will be especially significant if the laptop only has integrated graphics (such as HD Graphics 630 built into Intel CPUs).

For the average user, 16GB of RAM is usually more that plenty.

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
A matching memory pair (such as 8+8) will enable dual-channel mode and will give a performance increase. This will be especially significant if the laptop only has integrated graphics (such as HD Graphics 630 built into Intel CPUs).

For the average user, 16GB of RAM is usually more that plenty.

I primarily use Photoshop and Illustrator with very large files and they're quite RAM hungry. I should've indicated that in my original post, my bad! Also, it's ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 with a Ryzen 5 4600.

I thought so re: matching pair, but if one is soldered and the other is removable, can they be matching? In that case would 20gb of unmatched RAM work better?

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I primarily use Photoshop and Illustrator with very large files and they're quite RAM hungry. ..................

Probably best to go for the 20GB option then.

I thought so re: matching pair, but if one is soldered and the other is removable, can they be matching? ........................

It's likely that the vital specifications will be identical (timings, speed, voltage, etc).

I'm not sure how well, if at all, how dual-channel mode would work with a titchy 4GB module and the other one fours times the capacity as its twin.

Reactions: ceriumhk

ceriumhk

Honorable
Jul 25, 2014
It's likely that the vital specifications will be identical (timings, speed, voltage, etc).

I'm not sure how well, if at all, how dual-channel mode would work with a titchy 4GB module and the other one fours times the capacity as its twin.

Thank you for your help. I will just stick with the 16gb.