Onboard Sound Chip versus a PCI Sound Card

Pandora20k

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I'm working on a plan to purchase a pre-built Windows machine in the next 3-4 weeks. Years ago, I would have built something from scratch, but have been out of the game for almost 15 years and just don't have it in me to go that route.

After reviewing plenty of "prospective" pre-builts, I have a lot of "general" questions. Here is my Sound Card question.

Most of the machines I've been looking at have those onboard audio chips. Right now, both of my active machines have this instead of a real sound card, and it hasn't really been a problem. I have several good headsets and use them for both watching steaming video, playing games and for virtual meetings (folks say my MiC audio is so good they can't believe I don't have a real sound card).

Does no one actually use a real sound card anymore? What gives? Clearly I may not need a super-duper Sound Card, but since I'm buying something new, I need to know what sort of options I should be looking at. I'll be installing (or downgrading to) Windows 7 on whatever machine I buy.

Machine Usage: Medium to Heavy (Video Streaming, Photoshop, Video Rendering, some medium end Gaming) Machine will be turned on and very active 16 hours a day. I don't need to a machine to play the very latest high end games, but I'd like to be able to play some of the titles that I keep hearing about. Skyrim, maybe?

I'd appreciate any feedback you all here on Toms Forum can provide. I'm savvy, but haven't a purchased a new machine since 2006.

Pandora20k

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
That's sorta what I figured. In fact, I have a hearing condition, which is one reason I use headsets. I am not looking for super high fidelity. Many thanks to both of you for responding.