One computer slowing down whole network

shykage

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I have 3 computers at my house with wired Cable internet. Internet is always fine until a specific computer is turned on. When this computer is turned on internet speed drops significantly. Gaming is impossible with the lag and running a tracert to google.com results in 300+ms. How can I fix this? The owner of the computer is not downloading anything. Just having the computer on makes everyone go slower. This has been going on for a month now and we never had this problem before.

I have tried running CCleaner and uninstalling suspicious programs. I have checked what processes are running and stopping ones that I found suspicious.

Solution
Does the computer slowing things down have a different speed Ethernet card or port? Is is on-board or PCI? did you try system restore to a point just before this started happening? Many reasons this can happen, from it being used as a bot or power issues, malware. See if you have a restore point for just before it started, if that does not work, do a root scan, try using Mbar which is free from Malware bytes. and Try Running ADW cleaner also free (a browser and ad-ware cleaner). Then you can try using TCP optimizer another free tool that optimizes your internet settings and speed. You can find all these by Google search. Then let us know what the results are if any. Good luck!

Romanticapped

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Does the computer slowing things down have a different speed Ethernet card or port? Is is on-board or PCI? did you try system restore to a point just before this started happening? Many reasons this can happen, from it being used as a bot or power issues, malware. See if you have a restore point for just before it started, if that does not work, do a root scan, try using Mbar which is free from Malware bytes. and Try Running ADW cleaner also free (a browser and ad-ware cleaner). Then you can try using TCP optimizer another free tool that optimizes your internet settings and speed. You can find all these by Google search. Then let us know what the results are if any. Good luck!

Solution

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Open up your Task Manager, go to Performance tab, click Resource Monitor near the bottom. Go to Networking and see what's running that shouldn't. Sounds like a P2P client in the background.

kanewolf

Titan
Install and run wireshark on the machine that is causing the slowdown. It will capture all the network traffic generated and received by that machine. It should show what is slowing things down. You should only need to capture less than a minute to determine if anything is wrong. IF there is no significant traffic (HUGE amounts), then it could be a duplicate IP address problem. Does the machine in question have DHCP turned on? Could it have a static IP that is the same as the router?

kobold232323

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Hey , i have kind of the same problem. I habe a new Lenovo n 13 with and networlcard called "Intel AV 8265" everytime I try to connect with this PC to the network, all other pc´s have very slow internet. The Server is a win 2012 r2. i tryed already servel drivers for the "Intel AV 8265" but i would not work. I also tryed to reinstall the protocolls but it would not work as well.
pls help me
and excuse me for my bad english

best regardes from germany