[SOLVED] One day good - next day dead

Aug 2, 2022
I have read the "won't post" sticky but that seems primarily aimed at new builds. Have done some checks based on that though and wondering what the next logical move is?

System: Asrock H61M-U3S3, 2600K CPU, 16GB Corsair memory, 4SSDs,1 hard drive,1 DVD. Completely fan-less (No-Fan cooler), Seasonic x400 platinum PSU. I know it's old but it's brilliant and totally silent (and would be very hard to recreate today)!

As per title, had been working well with no errors or other signs of impending doom. It didn't like being told to sleep though so was on when I went to bed but was off when I woke up. Pressed power button. Nothing. So, I've tried:

1 - It runs on a Cyberpower UPS which seemed happy. I unpluggd the PC kettle plug and powered another appliance from it OK so incoming supply is good.

2 - A bit of googling suggested PSU or Motherboard as most likely suspects so ordered a Corsair RM650X which I fitted this morning but has made no difference.

3 - Tried disconnecting all the peripherals - no diifferent.

4 - Made up a motherboard "speaker" but never get a sound from it. No display on this board.

5 - Pulled the CPU 12V plug from board and metered while pushing power on - nothing.

6 - Pulled the power switch header and metered the switch from there - OK.

So it would seem that the PSU is ready to supply power. (I have a power meter in line and can see the increase in current draw when I switch on at the PSU switch) and the mobo is receiving the signal telling it to power on but the message isn't getting through to the PSU? What happens between signal in and signal out?

I have a replacement mobo coming (to UK from America) but it won't be here for a couple of weeks apparently (don't ask me why it takes so long!).

I think the only only things I haven't done are unplugging/swapping the RAM cards and clearing the CMOS. Neither are straightforward as the CPU cooler has to be removed to get at anything (It's LARGE). The CMOS thing fills me with dread. It says settings have to be re-entered. I don't know what setting they are and if I did I probably don't know what they're set to! Sounds like the sort of thing that could result in weeks of grief though I guess it'll be no different if I have to replace the mobo?

Any input re observations above or guidance re best course of action greatly welcome.

Last edited:
Solution
Gave system to a local repair guy who established that the cause of the original failure was, indeed, the PSU and the cause of all the confusion was that the new Corsair PSU was DoA.....

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the way your issue has devolved, it's very likely that the board might've conked out. You can troubleshoot the rams on another known working system to come to a more constructive conclusion that the rest of your parts are in order. If you don't have access to spare parts, it'd be a good idea to visit a nearby store that has the necessary parts in order to troubleshoot. Often times people buy parts thinking a fix is incoming but they end up with parts for another build.

You've posted this thread in the Graphics card section, but didn't mention the GPU. Have you been working with the iGPU all along?

Aug 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the way your issue has devolved, it's very likely that the board might've conked out. You can troubleshoot the rams on another known working system to come to a more constructive conclusion that the rest of your parts are in order. If you don't have access to spare parts, it'd be a good idea to visit a nearby store that has the necessary parts in order to troubleshoot. Often times people buy parts thinking a fix is incoming but they end up with parts for another build.

You've posted this thread in the Graphics card section, but didn't mention the GPU. Have you been working with the iGPU all along?

Thanks & apologies for mis-post - purely an error on my part. There is no GPU. I just use the integrated one. This is my office PC so no gaming and no media other than the odd you-tube. Just browsing / office apps.

Unfortunately I don't have another system to play with. Ironically I think I had the memory that the Corsair stuff replaced until a recent clearout.... the cards have to be low profile to fit under the cooler and I don't really want to spend (any more) money on bits until I've tried the bits I've already bought.

However given that the mobo is some way off I'll probably try the each RAM card in slot 1 tactic - even if it is a pain - and perhaps clear the cmos when putting the second one back (assuming they seem OK).

Anything else (that doesn't cost money)pending the arrival of the mobo?

Lutfij

Titan
Ram stick, not card. :)

You will need a replacement part to replace one component at a time, proceed with a trial and error mentality/troubleshooting method until you reach the component that's the obvious one that's preventing the system from powering up. This is why I advised to either source parts from a friend or neighbor or visit a local shop to see if they can expedite the process. You already have a board on it's way, so that's what will need a folllowup on this thread.

First try the Clear CMOS battery trick, with the system disconnected from the wall and display, then remove the battery for 30 mins, before replacing. If that doesn't work, try a fresh cell. If that doesn't work, try with one stick of ram across all slots on the board.

Aug 2, 2022
Replacement CPU also made no difference, nor did removing the 2nd RAM strip or putting it in the 1st slot.

So, looking relatively unlikely that the new RAM will fix it?

Is there anything else?

Aug 2, 2022
Gave system to a local repair guy who established that the cause of the original failure was, indeed, the PSU and the cause of all the confusion was that the new Corsair PSU was DoA.....

Solution