[SOLVED] One dead pixel on new monitor

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys,

Here's the scene, I first bought a LG 24mp59g, It developed a dead pixelonthe center of the screen and then became two, went back to store, got it replaced, the second piece had a dark area at the bottom left of the screen. and later found there was a gap at the corner between the screen and bezel, went back, got a different monitor, paid extra money.

New one is Acer VG240YP, just ogt it yesterday, gues what it has got a dead pixel, At this point I am wondering if I should even bother taking it back.

What do you guys think, What are the chances? I am not new to this( had two laptops with deadpixel and now using a 4k tv(this doesn;t bother me as I sitting away, overtime I knwo I will get used to it, but it will always be there on my mind.

Just wondering how common these are and will chaning monitor is the way to go agani.

Solution
Normally, a few bad pixels not in the center are not considered as a defect and replaceable under warranty.
That said, It would bother me to no end.

If you buy a monitor on ebay, some will have a "perfect pixel" guarantee.

Since the store you are buying from is so accommodating, I would return the unit and try yet again.
Normally, a few bad pixels not in the center are not considered as a defect and replaceable under warranty.

Since the store you are buying from is so accommodating, I would return the unit and try yet again.

Solution

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I would totally tell that vendor "I'm gonna return all the monitors until I get one without a dead pixel" with a smile :)

Hehehehe, Wondering if its developing overtime or been there since the begining, Finally found three, I could have sworn there was only one when I started the thread.

Can it be something else, like the power grid I am using causing dead pixels or something? <Mod Edit>, I dont know. My
old monitor was fine for 6 years, the second lg I got did not have any dead pixels either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

I know right, I find it ridiulous that all the major brands do not consider a few dead pixels a defect, acer says upto to 5 on 1080p is ok.

Lg I think says upto 8.

I am ok with it on tvs to a certain extent coz I am not gonna be sitting close, but monitors irrtate me very much.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Update - Went to the store and got it replaced, checked thoroughly for any dead or stuck pixels with both black and white screens.

They weren't too thrilled to replace this time around, understandable really I guess. I sort of half checked the last piece and brought it home, so they said "you checked it in the store and took home, if something happens then, perhaps the power grid at my place is causing it" , Is it possible?, I don't know.

Told them that couldn't be the case as there was no votage fluctuation at my place and I also use a surge protector sort of. And I them asked if that was the case how did my old acer I was using before the lg worked fine for that long and the second lg I got also did not have any deadpixels.

They replaced it though without many questions. Fingers crossed, hopefully doesn't happen again.

Do you guys think it can be because of the power output at my place?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I can't think of any reason why power issues should cause dead pixels.
It is a quality control and marketing issue.
There will always be some number of defects. Many will not notice or take the time to return such a unit.

Hey,

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Really appreciate it.

While at it, what are the chances of a display developing a dead pixel overtime? I am a liitle paranoid now.

Wouldn't have worried if it hadn't happened to me so much, would be absolutely furiuous if it happened again after going through 4 bloody monitors from 2 brands.

My luck with deadpixels officially sucks, seriously, of the 9 lcds(excluding mobile phones) I have had, 5 screens had deadpixels.

Hey,

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Really appreciate it.

While at it, what are the chances of a display developing a dead pixel overtime? I am a liitle paranoid now.

Wouldn't have worried if it hadn't happened to me so much, would be absolutely furiuous if it happened again after going through 4 bloody monitors from 2 brands.

My luck with deadpixels officially sucks, seriously, of the 9 lcds(excluding mobile phones) I have had, 5 screens had deadpixels.

If you don't have dead pixels already which spread over time you're probably fine. I owned a lot of monitors and none of them developed dead pixels yet. I might be lucky but with the one I had dead pixels on them it spread like wildfire.

Just calm down and don't think about the pixels anymore. Maybe it's you! You think about dead pixels so much that you create them! :)

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
If you don't have dead pixels already which spread over time you're probably fine. I owned a lot of monitors and none of them developed dead pixels yet. I might be lucky but with the one I had dead pixels on them it spread like wildfire.

Just calm down and don't think about the pixels anymore. Maybe it's you! You think about dead pixels so much that you create them! :)

Lol, alrighty then, thanks a lot guys.