Question One game disconnects my internet in a weird way

Oct 13, 2022
Hello.

This is a very awkward issue...

I purchased a game called "The Last Oricru" today shortly after the release and ever since then whenever I’m playing it my internet turns off after about 10-15 minutes. After that, if I try to restart or turn off the PC the computer itself just keeps running but my screen is off and I cannot do anything but do a hard shutdown.

What is this? I have never seen anything like this. I am not playing the game in an online coop or anything, so how come it crashes my internet in such a weird way and makes it impossible for me to properly turn the PC off??

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Last edited:

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Hi,

Is your entire internet turning off, like you can't access the wi-fi on your phone either?
Does the router turn it's self off and back on again?

If it's the router turning it's self off and on again then it's probably a overheat issue or something wrong with the router, back in the days of the superhub 1 (virgin media) in the UK, we had an issue where whenever I would download a steam game the router just restarted over and over and wouldn't let me download things.

The other thing it could be is virus related, are you able to perform a virus scan via Windows Defender.

I assume you are using Windows 10 or 11?

Thanks,

Oct 13, 2022
I probably should’ve stated that (sorry!) but it only disconnects the internet on the PC, the router is completely fine. Also, I am using an ethernet cable on PC.

I have Windows 10.

And it’s funny you bring up it could be virus related because that’s what’s been on my mind all along - that it acts like a virus. I mean I turn the game off, turn Steam off, log out of my Windows user profile, and log back in = still no internet. I ran a network scan with no results. I tried putting the PC into sleep mode instead of turning it off or restarting and it has done this weird thing where my keyboard and mouse still had their lights on (always turns off in sleep mode) and half of the PC lights went off but the fan lights remained on along with generic RGB light on the CPU cooler.

I’ve done a full ESET scan about a week ago so prior to the installation of the game and now my quick Windows Defender scan pretty much froze halfway through (lol). Should I run a full ESET scan again instead? Could it be "that easy"?

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
I think first off you should perform some diagnostics for your windows installation.

Perform these things

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
  3. Type the following command to repair the Windows 10 image and press Enter: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Quick note: If the command appears stuck, this is normal behavior. After a few minutes, the process will complete successfully.
After that stay in the Command Prompt and type in the black box and press enter

sfc /scannow

wait for it to finish then post the results here.

By the way, how long have you had your computer / windows installed?
Do you have a lot of software / install software a lot or different softwares?

Oct 13, 2022
Done the repair, then the scan said:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

The CBS file on C drive is a looong list of stuff I completely do not understand. :)

I have the computer/windows for about a year now.
I am a person who is trying to have an absolute minimum of useless software installed so every software I have is only stuff that is really necessary.

...my quick Windows Defender scan pretty much froze halfway through...
That could mean WD is reading something in the game as a false positive. Have you tried just setting an Exclusion for the game in Windows Defender?

I should also say it's not a good idea to have two AV tools on your PC. Either choose Windows Defender, or ESET, but not both. System shutdowns are not uncommon when two AVs are fighting one another for control of the PC security.

If you got the game on Steam, malware related to it is unlikely, as Steam's security is pretty good. That doesn't mean malware from some other source isn't possible, just unlikely since this only happens when you launch that game.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022
Oh, I ran the general system quick scan that is what I meant.

Also I turned the defender on just for this, I only use ESET.

And yes I do have it on Steam.

I can try tomorrow if that Windows repair and scan have done any good but I'm pretty sure my PC is slowly getting tired of all the hard shutdowns. :D

Oct 13, 2022
Right... Big update:

The developer has acknowledged the issue and they claim it is caused by Intel Network drivers. The suggestion was to install the newest driver but that didn’t help me.

Instead, I disconnected the ethernet cable and used wifi, which then resulted in no disconnect and I could turn off/restart the PC after playing the game. Guess I will be doing that from now on when starting the game.

So... I suppose this is sort of a self-solve but thank you guys for your attempts to help out. Very weird problem though, I wonder if it will get fixed at some point...

TRENDING THREADS