One in Four Americans Own a Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Actually that's just awesome. Just today, I bought a Sony (e-ink) ebook reader to a relative as a birthday gift. Hopefully this will make people smarter. I just love e-ink based ebook readers, and can't be without one on a long trip or metro rides. As for tablets,, I had several Androids tabs, and couldn't keep them for more than a month, as I couldn't find use for them, because my phone does the same stuff. Any word on color e-ink readers???

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
and how many people use it on a weekly basis? Exactly. My rooted nook color hardly EVER gets used. Dont need it and touch screens still suck

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I knew one person who owned an Ipad and he got it for free from someone else he knew who didn't want it anymore.

Beyond that 2 of my family members own a cheap android tablet. I think their numbers don't apply to the average population.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
So we don't have the Dec numbers which would mean a higher percentage, by looking at the app downloads.
I have several tablets, they are excellent to use when a laptop or netbook is too much to carry.
I have 7" up to 10.1" tabs with keyboard cases paid $70-$140 there great sites that cater to tabs and have custom roms . Coupled with my portable hotspot 4G or my phone 4G wifi at 150 it's all good.
If you want great performance then min specs Dual core @ 1.2 Ghz 1GB DDR3 the on board storage doesn't matter you can just switch the internal SD and the external SD mounts.

'

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
My house has 3 tablets, Motorola Xoom (mine), iPad3 (wife), Kindle Fire (wife). Everyone that I know seems to have 1 as well. But looking from the comments, this is highly irregular?!?!?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]igot1forya[/nom]My house has 3 tablets, Motorola Xoom (mine), iPad3 (wife), Kindle Fire (wife). Everyone that I know seems to have 1 as well. But looking from the comments, this is highly irregular?!?!?[/citation]

iPad 1 (me), Kindle Fire (wife), iPod Touch (4 year old). My brother and my mom have the iPad 1 as well. My sister-in-law has an iPad 2. My mother-in-law has a Kindle Fire. Pretty much every person in my office has at least one tablet [that they use enough that they bring it to work with them].

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I don't have a smart phone-- because I don't think that I'd get enough use of it to justify the extra ~$40 per month --- but almost anyone I ask [who I wouldn't normally have pegged as a 'smart phone person'], says that they felt the same until they got one and now they can't imagine not having them.

I wonder if it is similar for a lot of people who have not regularly used a tablet?

FWIW- my iPad was a gift; I doubt I would have plunked down the $500+ to get one myself. My mom didn't like to see my brother squinting at his Blackberry screen, so she decided to get him an iPad 1; at the same time she got one for herself and one for me.

For me-- I use a desktop and laptop for work, but at home I only use a regular computer for eBay listings and the like.

My wife hasn't touched the PC at home since she got the Fire. My mom hasn't touched her laptop in over a year.

My brother gave away his desktop computer after getting the iPad [wasn't using it] and his wife's laptop died two months ago, she didn't bother replacing it-- has just been using her iPad 2.

For internet, light gaming and entertainment -- tablets do well enough to be the primary computing device IMO. Though, I certainly don't see them completely replacing regular PCs for the top couple of percent for a long time.

InvalidError

Titan
Most people I know either...
1- have a smartphone and that is good enough for them
2- own one
3- want one or have at least entertained the idea of buying one

The ownership rate among my acquaintances is indeed around 25%.

As far as e-ink goes, the concept is nice but the few models I have seen failed to impress me. The contrast ratio and resolution of those I have seen were much worse than I was expecting. Those monochrome screens really need to get up to 300+dpi.

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I have my tablet that cost me in the $400 range
I almost never use it as I believe I get work done better in my desktop
I wanted to sell my tablet 3 months after buying it to realize it will sell for $200 dollars on ebay
I really like my tablet but I don't use it much

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]So easy to tell a Zak Islam article :lol;[/citation]
A "tablet" and "e-book reading device" are not the same. While tablets are "e-book reading devices," not all "e-book reading devices" are tablets, thus accounting for the difference between the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.