[SOLVED] One laptop won't connect with my wifi network, but will connect with neighbor's

Sep 25, 2020
I have 3 laptops and 3 desktop PCs at home. One desktop runs Windows 10. One laptop runs Windows 8.1. All others are running Windows 7. All but one, desktops and laptops, connect to my wifi with no problem. The one that does not is a laptop which will connect to my neighbor's wifi, but not to mine. It detects my wifi and shows excellent strength. It just will not connect to it. It connects to my neighbor's in no time at all. Of course wiring it to the router with an ethernet cable works, but neither during nor after such a hook up, will it connect with my wifi.

Like another of my laptops, which connects to my wifi easily, it is in the living room, as is my router.

Any ideas?

Solution
Starter link:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-channels-for-your-network-818278

How to link:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-wireless-network-connections-windows-10

Most likely you will need to "explore" your wireless adapter's configuration options first.

Just to find the windows, taps, properties, etc. and note the current values and settings.

Sketch out the big picture with respect to the frequencies and channels that your network is using along with what your neighbor is using. Main wireless SSIDs, Guest SSIDs, etc.

Then go back through to make any required changes. Change only one thing at a time and keep notes in case some change needs to be undone.

And do remember to check the router's...

Ralston18

Titan
What error message or pop-up window do you get when the laptop fails to connect to your wifi?

And by connecting to your neighbor's wifi that means you either have the password for his wifi or your neighbor has an unsecured wireless network.

Frequencies, channels?

Sep 25, 2020
First, thank you for taking an interest. As for your question and comment: The error message is the standard "Windows cannot connect to this network." And while I don't see the relevance of your statement regarding how my laptop can connect with my neighbor's wifi, just to be clear, he and I have the each other's passwords and have for years.

About that though. While I used his network to test the laptop's ability to connect to a network at all, the first time I gave his password in response to the question as it comes up when you are simply picking a network and clicking "connect" from the desktop. Generally that is the only time you, or at least I, would have to give it.

In this case, however, it did not retain it. I went to "Manage wireless networks" a couple of times through all this and neither network was listed. So I "manually" added them both and had to supply the password for each in the appropriate "properties" boxes even though I'd supplied them each before at the desktop level. Both have been retained now since then.

Sep 25, 2020
What error message or pop-up window do you get when the laptop fails to connect to your wifi?

And by connecting to your neighbor's wifi that means you either have the password for his wifi or your neighbor has an unsecured wireless network.

Frequencies, channels?
Sorry. I got to ruminating on that password idea and forgot about your frequencies and channels questions. While I know I've run across those in times past for other reasons I don't remember where to find either of them.

Ralston18

Titan
Starter link:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-channels-for-your-network-818278

How to link:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-wireless-network-connections-windows-10

Most likely you will need to "explore" your wireless adapter's configuration options first.

Just to find the windows, taps, properties, etc. and note the current values and settings.

Sketch out the big picture with respect to the frequencies and channels that your network is using along with what your neighbor is using. Main wireless SSIDs, Guest SSIDs, etc.

Then go back through to make any required changes. Change only one thing at a time and keep notes in case some change needs to be undone.

And do remember to check the router's wireless settings: both your router and your neighbor's.

Overall, I recommend against sharing wireless network passwords with neighbors. Possible exception being a specific Guest SSID.

But not the main wireless network SSID password.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I have 3 laptops and 3 desktop PCs at home. One desktop runs Windows 10. One laptop runs Windows 8.1. All others are running Windows 7. All but one, desktops and laptops, connect to my wifi with no problem. The one that does not is a laptop which will connect to my neighbor's wifi, but not to mine. It detects my wifi and shows excellent strength. It just will not connect to it. It connects to my neighbor's in no time at all. Of course wiring it to the router with an ethernet cable works, but neither during nor after such a hook up, will it connect with my wifi.

Like another of my laptops, which connects to my wifi easily, it is in the living room, as is my router.

Any ideas?
Is it possible your WIFI is still using an old encryption standard? Newer software may not connect to networks that are "insecure".

Sep 25, 2020
Again, thank you for your time, interest and suggestions. I must say though this is all way beyond my level of competence. It was/is an interesting puzzle and I'd still like to know the answer, but it's not like I need for that laptop to act normal. It may just be ornery, like me. Plus, at my age, (I just retired), taking on long-term tedious tasks is not how I want to spend my time. I'll do a 1,000 piece puzzle, e.g., but probably not a 5,000 piece.

So, once more, thank you for the time and thought you've put into this but I'll just leave it as another mystery of the universe. Ciao

TRENDING THREADS