Question One last check for parts compatibility for a server I'm building

brodyblum13

Commendable
Jan 16, 2021
The title pretty much sums it up: I want to check one last time that the server/workstation I'm building is compatible. None of these parts are on PC parts picker
Motherboard: Supermicro X11DPH-T
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon Gold 6132 (1st gen intel scalable processors)
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 6650XT
RAM: 12 sticks of 8gb Samsung ECC 2666mhz ECC RDIMM
Coolers: 2x Supermicro SNKP0070APS4, might switch these out to the LGA3647 Noctua coolers
PSU: Pystar 850W Power Supply Full Modular PSU 80+ Gold
Storage: 1 Crucial M.2 NVME + 4tb Barracuda Seagate HDD
Case: Undecided, looking at a standard EATX consumer case (not a server one)

Thanks for any help!

I don't see any problems with compatibility, however, you absolutely want to avoid that Pystar power supply. ALL of their units are terrible, low quality.

Not only do I know this from conversations with a number of industry leaders in the area of power supplies but they are also fully outlined by a the fairly knowledgeable group of people who make up the PSU cultists network that maintains this list. You'll see that Pystar units, ALL of them, are Tier F, which is "Replace immediately" and that's no joke. Pystar is the same company as Aresgame and their power supplies are simply pure garbage.

Find yourself something from Tiers A or B on that list, or something from what I've recommended as ok on my guide.

Also, those Supermicro fans are loud as hell at mid to high speeds. 38db is extremely loud compared to practically any high quality aftermarket cooler, but I realize there are not all that many aftermarket models available for the scalable Xeon processors, so if you are at all concerned with noise levels you might consider shelling out the extra 25-30 bucks per cooler for the Noctua model that's compatible with that 3647 socket but be sure to check the cooler height against the cooler height support for whatever case you decide to go with.

brodyblum13

Commendable
Jan 16, 2021
According to the Supermicro documentation, the fans on the cooler are regular 92mm, which means I have some bequiet! fans that could replace them if noise is an issue.

It's definitely an option. Be Quiet is definitely not as quiet as Noctua, but probably at least moderately better than the stock Supermicro fans. The only way BeQuiet ever beats Noctua in noise levels is by comparing at lower RPMs, and generally that results in less performance.

So, when BeQuiet says a given fan is only 18db while a comparable sized Noctua fan is 25db, it's because the BeQuiet fan is only running at 1000rpm and not moving as much air, and thus, not offering as much cooling performance, as the Noctua fan that's running at 1200rpm yet still not or barely audible. At equal maximum RPMs there are no fans on the market that I am aware of that can compete with Noctua in terms of noise levels while still offering a very high level of performance.

But, it's also not like you need over the top cooling performance for those CPUs either. So if the BeQuiet fans will fit, they should be at least a decent improvement over the Supermicro fans BUT I'd be sure to do a little work comparing the models and make sure that you are not giving up any necessary performance moving to the BeQuiet fans. They may not move near as much air, nor have near as much static pressure as the Supermicro fans, much less the Noctua fans.

TRENDING THREADS