[SOLVED] One long beep and three short beeps - ASUS H310M-A

Pete Jarram

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I have bought a new PC this week.

However, when I turn it on, I get no display on my monitor and none of the peripherals work. The computer turns on and remains on, and all the lights glow to indicate power, but nothing else.

It shows an intermittent orange LED on the motherboard, and plays one long beep followed by three short beeps.

At first I thought the problem was the GPU that I had installed, so I tried taking it out and re-seating it, but had the same problem. I then tested the GPU on another PC that I have here and it works fine.
I then plugged my HDMI cable into the PC's built in HDMI socket (without my GPU installed) to check if the integrated graphics worked and again got the same result - no picture, an orange flashing light and the same pattern of beeps.

I can return the PC as I got it within the last week but was wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem might be?

Pete Jarram

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
It only has the one stick. I tried swapping it over to the other port (just out of curiosity more than anything) but it had no effect. It could well be the stick, but I have no other way of testing it (my other PC takes DDR3 ram and this is DDR4).

I might try a stick of the DDR3 ram in this PC just to see what effect it has. I'll have to leave that experiment for tomorrow though now.

Pete Jarram

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Don't worry, I read online that they won't even fit, so I won't be trying it.

It was ordered online, but the vendor has a free 7 day collect and repair / replace policy, so I'll be using that I guess.

Pete Jarram

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
@scout_03 Sorry I missed your response earlier.

I tried with the onboard graphics without my GPU installed (and reset many times), but I can't get a display on my monitor with that or my dedicated GPU. Even though the pattern of beeps generally indicates a VGA issue, I don't think this is the case here.

I believe it could well be the RAM, but with no way to test for sure, I think I'd be better off returning the item and letting the vendor sort it out.