One monitor turning black while gaming.

Oct 22, 2018
Hello, so I'm having an issue while playing games. One monitor will turn black while gaming, the one playing the game. This started happening soon after getting a new GPU and more ram. I noticed it won't happen while the other monitor is off.

The screen will turn black for a second and then go back to normal. The GPU isn't going over 65c and the couch is staying around 45c.

So far from my testing I changed froma 2k monitor, it happened alot more often when at 1440p compared to 1080. Now using the 1080p monitor it happened once while gaming with a video playing on the other screen. With the other monitor off it didn't happen.

I've updated BIOS, changed to a better power supply and updated all drivers. I've tried 3 different display port cables as well.

The computer has an
I7 4790
Gtx 1080
16gb of ram.

I'm so lost now after trying so many different things.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Oct 22, 2018

EVGA 650 BQ, 2 months old. Bought brand new because my old one did the same thing with the screen going black. Perfect condition.

Ralston18

Titan
Use the Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe your system while playing.

Pick one or the other. Open and watch until your system is stable. Then move the window to one side or the other but leave the window open so you can continue to watch. Then game as usual.

Try gaming with first one monitor (i.e., no problems) and then with both monitors (when the screen goes black).

The objective is to spot some system change or happening that corresponds to or with the second monitor going black.

Oct 22, 2018
I tried that last night while running furmark to see a change but nothing happened. I ran furmark for 30 minutes and never got over 68c and the fans never ran above 55% speed. The screen never went black during that. I'll try again during gaming to recreate it.