One Month In: Where Is The Vulkan Graphics API Headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
So we mention Mantle API but don't credit it's contribution to Vulkan API.

From Wiki

"Vulkan is derived from and built upon components of AMD's Mantle API, which was donated by AMD to Khronos with the intent of giving Khronos a foundation on which to begin developing a low-level API that they could standardize across the industry, much like OpenGL."

G

I hope more game publishers support Vulcan API so they can target Linux as well so we can all switch from Windows 10 Abomination to something else when it comes to gaming.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I hope more game publishers support Vulcan API so they can target Linux as well so we can all switch from Windows 10 Abomination to something else when it comes to gaming.
Windows 10 runs all my games better than 7, for me anyway. Once DX12 games start coming out, Win10 will be the preferred gaming platform for gamers and devs. Vulcan has legs, but nothing like DX12 in the PC world. Now they have a better chance on the mobile market, MS is trying to create their own Win10 ecosystem along with DX12, but unless i can install it on any device i want, it will not compete with Vulkan, because it is platform agnostic.

Gurbo

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
That's the same thing I wish. Since I saw Valve in the list of partner/supporters, I started thinking they might push it HARD to try to make steamOS work, helping people wanting to game in Linux without emulators as a side effect.

Windows 10 runs all my games better than 7, for me anyway. Once DX12 games start coming out, Win10 will be the preferred gaming platform for gamers and devs. Vulcan has legs, but nothing like DX12 in the PC world. Now they have a better chance on the mobile market, MS is trying to create their own Win10 ecosystem along with DX12, but unless i can install it on any device i want, it will not compete with Vulkan, because it is platform agnostic.
The problem is not if it works better or worse, windows 10 is pissing a lot of people off with many of it's features, and quite a few people I know, myself included, would jump (or finish the jump) if you could game in Linux without any problems.

ScreaminHDD

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
Well, this is great news for not only games, but for any device that uses graphical interfaces, such as those in the medical, military, and financial fields. As for games, those expect Vulcan support in any M$ published IP like "Gears of War".

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
The problem is not if it works better or worse, windows 10 is pissing a lot of people off with many of it's features, and quite a few people I know, myself included, would jump (or finish the jump) if you could game in Linux without any problems.

Unfortunately Vulkan will not solve that problem though as the big thing about Windows is its backwards compatibility. Even if all future games are Linux compatible I will still need to boot into Windows for all my old games and Windows Store exclusives.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
So we mention Mantle API but don't credit it's contribution to Vulkan API.

From Wiki

"Vulkan is derived from and built upon components of AMD's Mantle API, which was donated by AMD to Khronos with the intent of giving Khronos a foundation on which to begin developing a low-level API that they could standardize across the industry, much like OpenGL."

What's the difference between Mantle and Vulcan. Why does AMD care about another API.

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Mantle was written only for specific AMD GPUs, Vulkan replaces it with a fully open standard that any GPU can support.

It means AMD do not have to be the only ones spending money on developing the API and it gets more games written for it because it works on any modern GPU not just AMD.

How does this help AMD? I have no idea, I guess it just helps everyone not being tied to a specific platform.

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Unless you believe Microsoft was never going to release another DirectX after 11, then I think its giving AMD a lot of credit to claim Mantle led to DirectX 12.

Its far more likely that DirectX 12 was well into development before Mantle was announced. AMD just beat them to the announcement as they only had to create an API for a specific GPU, not a general purpose API with extensive documentation so that third-party GPU manufacturers can write drivers for it.

DirectX 12 is all about getting people to buy into Windows 10 and the Xbox ecosystem by making it easier to port games between Xbox One and PC than between PS4 and PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.