One of my 7970s died. Is an upgrade viable?

jbucko

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
One of my 7970s died and if i can not get it RMA'd, i would like to know what you guys thought about me upgrading. I would like to go to a single card configuration, but dont know if it would be cost effective with my setup. Before my card died i was running a six monitor setup, but most likely selling three of them so i could go to a single card config.

CPU: 3770k@4.2ghz
RAM: 16gb
GPU1:7970 ghz (dead)
GPU2: 7970OC (still kicking)
3x 27" monitors @ 5760x1080
3x 21.5 monitors each @ 1080p

I would really like to replace the 7970s. it would be nice to be rid of the coil whine :). I really don't think that i would get much performance out of a upgrade. What you guys think?

Solution
i went from CF 7950's to a gtx 970 and is was a sideways move.

i did it for a quieter setup and the 4GDDR(that did not work out)

anyways i would think you will need at least gtx980ti just to get equal performance.

amd just did a paper release of their the new cards and they look to be very impressive. they will be released the end of this month and I would wait to see how they perform. temps and performance look to be very good

fkr

Splendid
i went from CF 7950's to a gtx 970 and is was a sideways move.

i did it for a quieter setup and the 4GDDR(that did not work out)

anyways i would think you will need at least gtx980ti just to get equal performance.

amd just did a paper release of their the new cards and they look to be very impressive. they will be released the end of this month and I would wait to see how they perform. temps and performance look to be very good

Solution

fkr

Splendid
they were just reveled at 9 am this morning, so nobody knows exactly how they will perform but going by some raw numbers they should at least be as good as a 980ti.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Officially-Announces-Radeon-R9-Fury-X-and-Fury-Graphics-Cards
there is also an article on the front page of tomshardware about these cards

also I do not think you should SLI the 970's. here is a good video as to why and from a very respected reviewer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RyNNlKbJw

If would really wait till the end of the month before making any purchases since the AMD furyx will be out next week.