[SOLVED] One or two 8-pin CPU connectors for Core i9-12900K ?

Solution
If you have it, use it. The cpu may or may not demand that power at any given time, but you will have power issues if the cpu demands aren't met.

Also, many boards for those cpus require use of both or simply don't work. Only the 3rd connector (4 or 8 pin) is optional for OC purposes.

Pin count on psu side is moot. The only concern is the motherboard side of the wire. Psu could be a 4,6,8,10 or 12 pin connection, makes no difference, it's just an attachment connector for the modular cable. The motherboard side for EPS (cpu) will be the 4+4 to match up with 4pin, 8pin, 12pin (4+4, 4+) or 16pin (4+4, 4+4) as needed.

Astralv

Distinguished
What is the make/model pf your psu?
If you have two, connect two.
The extra 8 pin connector is used to power added cards in the pci slots as well as added power for overclocking.
In testing, I used only one which worked fine.
It is EVGA P6 1000W platinum. Yes, there are 2 CPU cables available. We had this discussion in Asus facebook group, some said "Do not connect VGA cable as pins are different and can send ground through board". I wanted to make sure- I dont remember what I did with my other builds. It says CPU 1, CPU2 on power supply. The cables are 8 pins on one side, 2X4 pins on the other side. Which side goes to motherboard- the 8 pins whole or 4+4 splits? And 2 of these total, right? Thank you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you have it, use it. The cpu may or may not demand that power at any given time, but you will have power issues if the cpu demands aren't met.

Also, many boards for those cpus require use of both or simply don't work. Only the 3rd connector (4 or 8 pin) is optional for OC purposes.

Pin count on psu side is moot. The only concern is the motherboard side of the wire. Psu could be a 4,6,8,10 or 12 pin connection, makes no difference, it's just an attachment connector for the modular cable. The motherboard side for EPS (cpu) will be the 4+4 to match up with 4pin, 8pin, 12pin (4+4, 4+) or 16pin (4+4, 4+4) as needed.

Last edited:
Solution
Some motherboard will only have a 4 pin eps connector, or perhaps an 8 pin plus a 4 pin.
The 4+4 EPS is designed to handle all situations.

I would have thought that the other psu end would have a unique connector that only fit the psu. Usually at least one of the ends would be labelled as to use.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu connector is just that, a connector. It's not an '8' pin or anything else, it's just a plactic box with wires in it that creates a modular connection to the psu. It could be round or triangular shaped for all it matters.

So forget what it at the psu. It's irrelevant, unimportant, useless to consider. The Only thing of Any concern whatsoever is the other end. Is it pcie (6+2), is it EPS / CPU (4+4), Sata or molex etc.

That cpu1, cpu2 cable is just that, a 4+4pin cable, whatever is on the other end is of absolutely no concern other than which psu port it plugs into.