Question One phone has lost WiFi connection to my router.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi all.

This is a new Vodafone THG3000 router supplied with their Fibre 1 broadband. It's been running for 2 months now, and all is seemingly fine both WiFi and Ethernet connectivity.

I have three phones currently connected to the router, all three working absolutely fine for these 2 months, along with various laptops. Then one phone - a Vodafone Smart V10 - suddenly lost connectivity.

Nothing that I tried worked - multiple reboots, and multiple attempts at 'finding' the Voda network. My Voda router is still showing on this phone under Settings>Network as the single 'saved network', but is not connected or connecting. When I tap on this network, a window pops comes up to say 'Security None, and FORGET or CANCEL'.

I've tried 'forget' so I could start again, and the phone does pick up other networks in the neighbourhood (eg Post Office and Sky), but not my own Voda router even tho' I brought the phone into close proximity to it - it just doesn't find it. I have checked the router settings, and both 2.4 and 5GHz are on (almost certainly this phone - like my other working one - will be 2.4GHz).

More weirdly, for a couple of days last week, the phone DID connect and worked fine, without any action by me, and then the WiFi icon disappeared again by itself.

What the heck?!

Thanks for any advice on what to check next.

Does the router have the ability to set multiple SSID.

Does it have a guest option.

If you try either of these can your phone see these networks. Guest network would likely let you get to the internet but you could have issue with file sharing. If you were to change the main network SSID can you now connect. What happens if you then change it back does it again disappear.

This has to be a phone issue. People have a similar issue on windows and it is unclear what exactly you do to fix it. You have almost no option on a phone, but I know some people fix this on a pc by uninstalling the device drivers and then reinstalling it.

Reactions: Frooby

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi Bill.

Thanks for your reply.

'Guest' and 'multiple SSID' I don't know, but I'll check it out.

What I understand I can change is the current SSID name, and the WiFi password, so I might try doing that to see if it jogs anything in the stoopid phone.

Cheers.

That is strange. I could see the router blocking a connection but you would still think the end device would see it in the list of network. I mean the router does not even know the device exists before it attempt to connect.

It would be so nice if the wifi chipset makers allowed more access to the technical data but they are so afraid of the FCC rules they keep everything locked up.