[SOLVED] One RAM stick in pack not recognized

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
I recently bought a new PC that had only 1 stick of 8GB RAM installed. A week later, I decided to upgrade with a 16GB (2x8GB sticks) pack of Corsair memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2666 MHz C16 XMP 2.0).

After installing, it booted, but I noticed in CPU-Z that only one RAM stick was recognized. I checked in the BIOS, and found that the stick in slot A2 was recognised, but not B2.

The stick in A2 was recognized as “Corsair 8192 MB 2133Mhz” not 2666Mhz.

I took them out and swapped them around. This time, it recognizes the same stick in B2, but not A2. And again, as 2133Mhz, not 2666Mhz.

I removed them and put the original RAM back in.

Is one of the sticks a dud? Or is there something I'm missing?

I double-checked the memory compatability in the manufacturers website for my motherboard, and everything checks out fine except for the version number. Could that have been the problem?

Thanks.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
RAM: 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (1 x 8GB)
GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
PSU: CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
I recently bought a new PC that had only 1 stick of 8GB RAM installed. A week later, I decided to upgrade with a 16GB (2x8GB sticks) pack of Corsair memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2666 MHz C16 XMP 2.0).

After installing, it booted, but I noticed in CPU-Z that only one RAM stick was recognized. I checked in the BIOS, and found that the stick in slot A2 was recognised, but not B2.

The stick in A2 was recognized as “Corsair 8192 MB 2133Mhz” not 2666Mhz.

I took them out and swapped them around. This time, it recognizes the same stick in B2, but not A2. And again, as 2133Mhz, not 2666Mhz.

I removed them and put the original RAM back in.

Is one of the sticks a dud? Or is there something I'm missing?

I double-checked the memory compatability in the manufacturers website for my motherboard, and everything checks out fine except for the version number. Could that have been the problem?

Thanks.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
RAM: 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (1 x 8GB)
GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
PSU: CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550
Hello!
Did you check your motherboard manual to see how to put sticks of RAM in dual channel? Some motherboards are specific about it. As far as MHz range, turn on your XMP profile from the motherboard BIOS and you should be fine.

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
Hello!
Did you check your motherboard manual to see how to put sticks of RAM in dual channel? Some motherboards are specific about it. As far as MHz range, turn on your XMP profile from the motherboard BIOS and you should be fine.

Hi SlavfromBulgaria, I checked the manual again, and all it says about dual channel is the recommended configurations for placing memory sticks. A2 & B2 were recommended. Aside from that, the Googling I've done suggests that it should automatically allow dual channel.

Would turning on the XMP profile fix the memory recognition issue? I still haven't figured out how to do that, but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Something I noticed when checking the manual:
“Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value.”

But I'm not overclocking, so I'm not sure how relevant this is.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hi SlavfromBulgaria, I checked the manual again, and all it says about dual channel is the recommended configurations for placing memory sticks. A2 & B2 were recommended. Aside from that, the Googling I've done suggests that it should automatically allow dual channel.

Would turning on the XMP profile fix the memory recognition issue? I still haven't figured out how to do that, but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Something I noticed when checking the manual:
“Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value.”

But I'm not overclocking, so I'm not sure how relevant this is.
Not sure if it would fix the recognition issue, could just be a dead stick. Try putting just one in at a time and see if they both work.

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
Not sure if it would fix the recognition issue, could just be a dead stick. Try putting just one in at a time and see if they both work.

Thanks. I tried putting one stick in at a time, the PC still boots up with both of them. They are still recognized as 2133Mhz, not 2666Mhz.

I can't find anything in the manual on enabling dual channel. I think it's assumed that the motherboard is dual channel enabled.

Should I just return this RAM pack and buy a single stick of 16GB RAM? Is dual channel really worth the hassle?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Thanks. I tried putting one stick in at a time, the PC still boots up with both of them. They are still recognized as 2133Mhz, not 2666Mhz.

I can't find anything in the manual on enabling dual channel. I think it's assumed that the motherboard is dual channel enabled.

Should I just return this RAM pack and buy a single stick of 16GB RAM? Is dual channel really worth the hassle?

yes dual channels are worth it .

and when you buy memory for your motherboard ., it is better to choose from tested memory on that board.

you can find them here

not all memory work 100% in dual channel mode. check the table allways before buying RAM .

look at all the four pages , you will see RAM works on 2 sockets only and RAM works on 4 sockets.

TomPlk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
yes dual channels are worth it .

and when you buy memory for your motherboard ., it is better to choose from tested memory on that board.

you can find them here

Thanks, I checked the table, and I did find my memory pack on there. The only difference was the version number. The table stated version 3.31, while mine was version 5.22. Was that an important detail I overlooked?

look at all the four pages , you will see RAM works on 2 sockets only and RAM works on 4 sockets.

The manual I checked listed recommended memory configurations (B2, A2 & B2, and all 4 sockets). There was only 2 pages, not 4.

TRENDING THREADS