Question One specific monitor/device combination doesn't work

Jun 14, 2021
So, this issue is driving me absolutely crazy.

I have a laptop running Intel Graphics 520 (on a 6th Gen Skylake i5). It has an HDMI out. It works absolutely perfectly with every display I've tested... about half a dozen... except the one on my desk. It's a totally generic 1080p Acer monitor so there's no funky refresh rate issues or anything.

I've tried several other devices with the monitor on my desk and they work with it just fine. I've even swapped the monitor to another of the same make/model and tried alternative cables.

The monitor worked absolutely fine before but today suddenly wasn't detected any longer. Initially it wasn't auto-detected (but did appear if "detect" was pressed in the Intel graphics control panel) but now there's no life at all.

I've tried updating my graphics drivers, rolling them back, uninstalling them altogether, nothing made any difference.

I'm lost. Short of entirely replacing the laptop and/or monitor I don't know what else to do.

Ralston18

Titan
Jun 14, 2021
Three immediate thoughts:

1) Does the Acer Monitor have its own drivers?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

2) On the laptop run the the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

3) On the laptop run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

1) The monitor does have its own drivers but installing them has no discernable effect. Certainly it worked before, there have been no hardware changes either.

2) The Windows troubleshooter returns no results.

3) Neither sfc nor dism finds an error.

Ralston18

Titan
In the "Type here to search" box type in "Run" (without quotes) .

In the Open box type "dxdiag" (again without quotes).

A diagnostic window should appear with display information via multiple tabs.

What you will to do is run "dxdiag" with a monitor (as identical to the Acer monitor model as you can determine) that works and then again run "dxdiag" with the non-working monitor.

It may take a few attempts via the thus far attempted configurations to discover some difference with respect to a working monitor and the non-working Acer Monitor.

Jun 14, 2021
In the "Type here to search" box type in "Run" (without quotes) .

In the Open box type "dxdiag" (again without quotes).

A diagnostic window should appear with display information via multiple tabs.

What you will to do is run "dxdiag" with a monitor (as identical to the Acer monitor model as you can determine) that works and then again run "dxdiag" with the non-working monitor.

It may take a few attempts via the thus far attempted configurations to discover some difference with respect to a working monitor and the non-working Acer Monitor.

Unfortunately, dxdiag doesn't even show that the Acer monitor is connected! Nowhere is it actually recognised that the monitor has been connected to the laptop.