One WiFi Devices Kills Internet Speed For All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipstream

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Hi, hope someone can help me here.

I have Netgear D6200 router - it runs a 2.4 and 5 network so some older devices can connect to the standard and most newer ones connect to the fast 5ghz network - they are named differently

We get download speeds of around 5mbps normally. Just this past 48 hours it's been horrendous - slowing to 0.2mbps and 0.05 upload - basically useless internet. This is tested on wired machine to router.

I disconnected all wifi devices and it was fine. I then turned each wifi device back on one by one to see if any caused a problem.

I found that my new HTC One M8 (bought 2 weeks ago mind) was causing slow download/upload speeds. This doesn't make sense to me for a variety of reasons:

1) How can connecting 1 wifi device cause actual download speed issues on the router?
2) I bought the device 2 weeks ago and it's only just starting to do this now.

I tested this several times, speed test, turn wifi on HTC off, speed test again - same results every time.

Here is what I tested:

1) That other wifi devices did not have same effect (they didn't - tried several)
2) Tried connecting the HTC to both the 5 & 2.4 ghz networks - same result - didn't matter which one I connected to on the router
3) Turn the broadcasting of the 5ghz network on the router and make everything connect to the slower 2.4ghz - no change
4) Obviously re-booter phone, router etc. Including taking cable out of wall and leaving router off for an hour or so to reset with the telephone exchange
5) Tried setting phone to 5ghz only (instead of auto).
6) Ran wifi scans to see if channel interference - found that some wireless xbox headphones were sharing same channel as 5ghz network so changed that - but no impact either.
7) turned off the wifi repeater we also have and disconnected the additional router switch also - neither made a difference but left them off for now to keep the set up simple.

This is so weird - I've searched for some help online but I've not found instance of this happening - I've seen PC's causing network slow down etc but not one wifi smart phone brining a whole home network to a crawl. Just doesn't make any sense to me at all

If it was caused by interference then it wouldn't just be 1 device causing this. Also, having had the phone for 2 weeks without this problem then it just starting this last 48 hours- weird. we are a family so as you can imagine there are plenty of other wifi devices all functioning fine but nothing works when I turn on my HTC One! We have 4 tablets, 3 phones (Plus mine), 4 laptops, 3 apple TV's. PS4, XB1 - list goes on! But like I said, I ensured all wifi devices were turned off and then turned them back on one by one and the culprit is definitely the HTC One M8.

Any ideas anyone? All help appreciated.

Bryan R

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
I can't believe I am having this exact same problem with the same phone and I can't find anybody else online having issues with other phones. Same problem for me. Usually run 5.5 mbps. With my HTC One M8 on wifi, my speed goes down to .80 mbps. I had called ATT Dsl support and went through a bunch of stuff but I figured it out on my own.

It really makes me wonder if it is an HTC One M8 issue. I have a different Netgear modem/router.

Also, I thought about the Auto sync too. Turned it off. No difference.

Any insight would be great.

Umang S Bhatnagar

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
I'm having the same problem reported by Skipstream and Bryan R - when my HTC One M8 connects to the wifi at home, my internet speeds slow down to the point it's unusable for anybody, and if I take it off, everything's fine. I've sat and watched a continuous ping with 67ms response times go up to 2700-3500ms range when I connect the One M8 to the wifi, and then come back to 67ms range when I disconnect it, and I've done it a few times to be sure. Similar environment and network architecture - I'm using the Asus AC68W as my main wifi router and a D-Link DSL 2750U as the DSL modem, with 11 devices of various types (laptops, tablets, XB1, Boxee, STB etc) connected - and it all boiled down to the HTC One M8.

I've had the phone in this environment for about 6 months now and it's not been a problem hitherto, but I did a factory reset of the phone last night and subsequently the problem has surfaced. Spent the day talking to customer care etc but it didn't get resolved and I am happy to read about your problem description just so I feel I know what the problem is, at least there's diagnosis.

I don't have a solution yet, but I guess the silver lining may be that with Lollipop due out shortly it's very possible the issue gets sorted out. Would be overjoyed to find a fix to the issue earlier, though... happy I'm not alone in this situation.

Looking forward to any suggestions/ ideas, and I'll drop in a line if I find a fix.

Umang S Bhatnagar

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
I don't use Dropbox, and I changed the setting in Google+ to auto-backup pics after reading the tip... it didn't help at that point, and it continued to exhibit the behaviour of ping times ballooning as soon as I connected the MTC One M8 to the wifi network.

However, I'm not facing the problem today, and I don't know why. Maybe it just takes a while for the changed setting to reflect? That would make the most sense.

Thanks for the help!

stoneule

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
OK this is soo strange... My wife's HTC One m8 has been doing the exact same thing! its kills our wifi performance. For no reason at all! Any progress made on this issue? Or is anyone else still having this problem?

Anthony_31

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
So, I bought a new LG nexus 5x from Google,had no problems at all on my wireless network (the house has a pretty elaborate cat 6 wiring throughout with several hubs/switches) I recently upgraded my dsl modem and updated my netgear R6700's firmware, when my nexus connects to the network, it takes a dump for all devices, just as you described. I though it was the new route, turned it into a bridge and stil have the issue. Removed all switches, and still have the issue

It worked great on the network up until I updated the netgears's firmware... So there might be something with netgears's and some cellphone's wireless chipsets... Maybe a though?

mazurrules

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Has anyone else had luck fixing this issue? This is exactly what's been going on with me too. I can't seem to find a solution anywhere and thought I was going a little crazy until I read other people are having the problem too.

I purchased a Nexus 5X and my network was running fine. I did start to have some unrelated issues with my internet and Frontier (my ISP) replaced the modem. Since then whenever my Nexus connects via WiFi my network dies intermittently for all devices - as soon as I discount the phone, it's fine again.

I've tried turning off auto-sync photo apps (Google's Photo & Dropbox) but still had issues.

jackmickan

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I had a very similar issue recently with a near new windows 10 Acer laptop. My router is also a netgear (Nighthawk R7000) and my download speeds were fine until i connected this acer laptop to wifi and then things would slow to a crawl. I had already tried many of the similar troubleshooting steps already listed and couldn't work out what was causing it. Reading this thread made me think it was something to do with uploads and i had recently got about half way through an office365/2016 installation. I checked my task manager processes and found that one of them seemed to be taking up a large amount of resources - in my case it was the windows update service which might have been the process for the o365 install. So i stopped this service and instantly everything went back to normal.
Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.