[SOLVED] Onkyo TX-SR494 AV Receiver Speaker setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Just bought this Onkyo TX-SR494 AV Receiver Speaker setup with wall speakers. It says it's a 5.2.2 dolby atmos and sts:x playback. I believe the other two channels are for the ceiling speakers? If they are for the ceiling what sound comes from them (planes, birds anything in the movie from above the scene)? Can this system be used as a 7.2.0 system? I have a pretty bad setup with desk, fireplace and my 2 couches so I fix the speakers to face me since I watch most of the TV? Don't know if there's a better setup or if the ceiling speakers could improve the system? I know the distances are off but it has to be a functioning living room with 3' pathway.

Onkyo TX-SR494 AV Receiver
Monoprice 3-Way Carbon Fiber in-Wall Speaker Center Channel - Dual 5.25
Acoustic Audio HDS10 in Wall 10"
Acoustic Audio CS-I83S in Wall/Ceiling 8" Home Theater 5 Speaker Set 3 Way 1750 Watt CS-I83S-5S

dont know how to attach a picture so I put link below. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gQom2rRop31VXDxeZO5kkzV-M9Ppl-gB/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
manuals says that you can use it for 7.1/7.2 speaker setup

but in 5.2.2 mode, those 2 ceiling (height) speakers is to add more immersion...which ever audio is there above your head would play there
Jan 13, 2023
Just bought this Onkyo TX-SR494 AV Receiver Speaker setup with wall speakers. It says it's a 5.2.2 dolby atmos and sts:x playback. I believe the other two channels are for the ceiling speakers? If they are for the ceiling what sound comes from them (planes, birds anything in the movie from above the scene)? Can this system be used as a 7.2.0 system? I have a pretty bad setup with desk, fireplace and my 2 couches so I fix the speakers to face me since I watch most of the TV? Don't know if there's a better setup or if the ceiling speakers could improve the system? I know the distances are off but it has to be a functioning living room with 3' pathway.

rOnkyo TX-SR494 AV Receive
Monoprice 3-Way Carbon Fiber in-Wall Speaker Center Channel - Dual 5.25
Acoustic Audio HDS10 in Wall 10"
Acoustic Audio CS-I83S in Wall/Ceiling 8" Home Theater 5 Speaker Set 3 Way 1750 Watt CS-I83S-5S

dont know how to attach a picture so I put link below. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gQom2rRop31VXDxeZO5kkzV-M9Ppl-gB/view?usp=sharing

Dolby Atmos is supposed to offer directional sound in so far it being able to place a specific sound within a rooms space either done with speakers placed in the ceiling or speakers placed upwards on top of the front left and rights.

In ceiling being the better option for immersion.

Dolby Atmos however can be implemented in any speaker configuration with varying results.

On the rear of the amp it has assignable connections so you can either go with extra surround speakers at the sides making 7.1 (not 7.2 as it only allows for one subwoofer input) or go for Atmos for 5.1.2 (the number after the first one always refers to subwoofer(s).

Can you move the right sofa alongside the other one by moving that one to the left a bit more (from your diagram)

Reactions: catfishhoward

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Can you move the right sofa alongside the other one by moving that one to the left a bit more (from your diagram)
I could make one row but it would be tight on each end. I just moved to a new state and know no one so I'm more about a functional room and good sound for just the couch on the left really.

Can the extra 2 speakers be sound at head level so the sound would go from the front to the middle to the back giving the surround sound gradually in three stages? Or do they only function as height sound only?

I could make one row but it would be tight on each end. I just moved to a new state and know no one so I'm more about a functional room and good sound for just the couch on the left really.

Can the extra 2 speakers be sound at head level so the sound would go from the front to the middle to the back giving the surround sound gradually in three stages? Or do they only function as height sound only?
in 7.x mode they will be in between front and back
54043199373413643__en-US__Original.png

on picture its that SL and SR

Jan 13, 2023
So in the photo SBL and SBR would be my extra 2 speakers (7&8 speakers on back of AV)? Actually on the back of the AV it shows speakers 7 & 8 near the front left and right and says Zone B is for surround back?

SBL & SBR are 6 and 7 in a 7.1 set up.

You have an amp. The Onkyo is the amp/receiver. It has a connection for a subwoofer.

Zone B connections (7&8 in the manual) can be used for an extra pair of speakers for use in another room. OR they can be used for Atmos OR they can be used for Front Height speakers. You select which type in the menu settings of the amp.

Jan 13, 2023

The extra 2 speakers can be used as SL & SR in the diagram or as height (different to Atmos) at the front or as Atmos in ceiling. There isn't really a gradual sound from front to back or stages. Adding more speakers just makes the sound more immersive.

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
My AV Receiver didn't have the product manual in the box showing the configurations and wiring so I didn't think it existed. I went on line and they have a great manual that shows all the configurations so I should be good now. Thanks for all the help and replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.