[SOLVED] Online games randomly spiking in pink or showing a connection interruputed,

Nov 12, 2020
I have been using wireless internet connection to play video games on my computer for a while now. Recently, for the past week or so, Every time I play an online game, my ping is around 15-20 and then It could randomly spike to 1000 or 2000. Or I recieve a connection interrupted signal and then it resumes back to normal after a few seconds. Does anyone know what the problem is or how I could fix it?

Solution
Yes your problem is you are playing games on wifi :)

There is not much you can do about this. The spikes are most likely caused by interference. It causes the wifi system to retransmit damaged data which takes time and causes the ping to increase during this time. The interference could be some other device inside your house but it is just as likely it is your neighbors using their wifi interfering with yours.

You have very few options none of which work well any more. You can try to change the radio channel to find one that is less used. You can change the channel width to 20mhz to try reduce the number of channels you might get interference on. You can try the other radio band 2.4 or 5. Since everyone else...
Yes your problem is you are playing games on wifi :)

There is not much you can do about this. The spikes are most likely caused by interference. It causes the wifi system to retransmit damaged data which takes time and causes the ping to increase during this time. The interference could be some other device inside your house but it is just as likely it is your neighbors using their wifi interfering with yours.

You have very few options none of which work well any more. You can try to change the radio channel to find one that is less used. You can change the channel width to 20mhz to try reduce the number of channels you might get interference on. You can try the other radio band 2.4 or 5. Since everyone else around you is doing the same and many people are putting in tri-band router and mesh systems which use every possible channel you are not likely to succeed.

Consider powerline network devices if you can't get a ethernet connection. you might also consider Moca if you have tv coax cables.

Solution