Online networking courses for a fee

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Hi,
Do you think online learning for computer networking is worth it? I'm talking about the ones that charge a fee, such as from legit universities/colleges.
I'm looking to get a network certificate but don't have a lot to spend. I know there are tons of specializations in this field but still wanted advice from anyone here who knows about this. Thank you.

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
What I want is hands-on experience. I can only take so much reading, especially with this topic due to the technical aspect. It's all just words on a page and cannot prepare me for real troubleshooting.

I started an application to a local community college a month ago. Then I found out that the financial aid I applied for could not be used to earn certifications, only degrees. So I'm looking for something cheaper, around $500 for the certificate, but you get what you pay for. I'm just trying to build my computer skills up. I work in the education field so I'm hoping to use this as a way to teach it in school or be the school's IT guy.

Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
This all depends on you.
CompTIA Network+ and A+ are good certs to start with.
Just the test for those is $319 or $340 each, respectively.

Studying beforehand will obviously add to that cost.

How to learn is all on you.
Some people prefer physical classes, others can do it all online.

Somehow I never believe paying top dollars, and for Pete's sake don't put yourself in major debt doing so.

I started as a computer lab helper at the college, earning minimum wage, good pocket money, work-study they called it, while completing my program. Taught me why noobs are so LITERAL.

While at the computer lab I befriended the college IT people then I got a job at the college's data center, learning more stuff.

After graduating I got jobs as electronics repair and as a computer operator eventually as network admin and at that time the company was willing to pay for my network certification. Woo-Hoo.

Funny anecdote, one of these expensive outfits which I went to class for, half of the computers in the classroom weren't in working condition, and the stupid instructor was telling us, figure out what is wrong with the PC! I go like waaa, my company paid you good money for me to come here to learn networking and you putting me to fix PC? The chutzpah of some of these outfits.

Reactions: demyansk

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
This all depends on you.
CompTIA Network+ and A+ are good certs to start with.
Just the test for those is $319 or $340 each, respectively.

Studying beforehand will obviously add to that cost.

How to learn is all on you.
Some people prefer physical classes, others can do it all online.
Appreciate the info. I started with A+ last year but got off track. Having a FT job and studying are hard! I find there is so much information and the practice questions are often misleading.

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Somehow I never believe paying top dollars, and for Pete's sake don't put yourself in major debt doing so.

I started as a computer lab helper at the college, earning minimum wage, good pocket money, work-study they called it, while completing my program. Taught me why noobs are so LITERAL.

While at the computer lab I befriended the college IT people then I got a job at the college's data center, learning more stuff.

After graduating I got jobs as electronics repair and as a computer operator eventually as network admin and at that time the company was willing to pay for my network certification. Woo-Hoo.

Funny anecdote, one of these expensive outfits which I went to class for, half of the computers in the classroom weren't in working condition, and the stupid instructor was telling us, figure out what is wrong with the PC! I go like waaa, my company paid you good money for me to come here to learn networking and you putting me to fix PC? The chutzpah of some of these outfits.
Yeah, I paid off my college debt last year after ten years of payments. What a drag. I promised myself I'd never take another loan again for school. If I want to take courses I either pay for them myself or I don't take them. Thank you.

imperial_render3d

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
Try Ed2go and Cengage, but do cisco not comptia, I took a course there and it's always worth an education for a resume. Forcing yourself to work will make you more knowledgeable and skilled in the long run.

Ralston18

Titan
And this:

"I started an application to a local community college a month ago. Then I found out that the financial aid I applied for could not be used to earn certifications, only degrees."

Think longer term and consider getting into a degree "path".

IT skills per se are important but if you bring other skills (via a degree program) to the table you will be all the more employable.

To move up the proverbial ladder you will need good communication skills and be able to work with IT and non-IT people at all levels.

Working FT and studying - tough yes. Very likely that you have sharpened up your time management skills. Certainly a plus....

Sagar_20

Distinguished
You can learn from udemy.com

The courses there are not designed by college or universities but could be very helpful.

You'll receive a digital certificate once you complete the course.

Just search for "networking" and a lot of courses will come up.

You can see rating and feedback from real users and decide what course you should take.

Last edited: