Question Online teaching: PowerPoint presentations as videos

__Alex__

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Hi!

I am new to Video Editing, and I would like to find a way to capture my PowerPoint presentations for the purpose of online teaching. So, the result should be a video with PowerPoint slides and an audio with me speaking. I understand that I could simply use one of the capture-the-screen apps for windows, but I would like to have the following extra features:
  • possibility of writing comments and drawing charts on the slides with a pen (different colors) while presenting. Here I assume that I use a tablet.
  • possibility of adding chapters to the video, so that the user can use the next button to go to the next slide. This can either be done automatically (such that the app should somehow be connected to the Power Point) or manually afterwards in a Video Editor (please suggest one).
  • possibility of including a small video of me in one of the corners of the presentation. So, an app captures the screen AND takes the video from the webcam. The final video is the video of the screen with audio from the mic (me talking) and a small frame in one of the corners with video from the webcam. I assume that I will use a PC with Windows 10 here. Here is an example from youtube: example.

The result should be a video which I can save on my own computer and upload to youtube later if I want to.

I already have a laptop with Windows 10 without touchscreen. So, I am thinking about buying a tablet for the possibility of using the pen. I thought about Huawei M5 or the cheap version of Ipad 6 gen. Are these tablets powerful enough to do the job? Also, please suggest which software I should use.

Thanks a lot in advance and have a great day.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
You will need a combination of technology, I am not an expert but here is my suggestion for the least effort/cost (Some things will have to be done manually with video editing but i don't think there is really any avoiding this).

1-
Download OBS which supports screen capture, records audio and also supports video editing (Plus it's free).

2-
Make sure Webcam drivers installed and it may have it's own software depending on brand.

3-
On the tablet/mobile device download Microsoft's remote office application which i believe is free. This will allow you to edit the power-point from the tablet once you've got it setup on both PC and Tablet.

4-
Set both your webcam and OBS to install at the same time with the Screen capture pointing to the power point. (You can record the audio and video individually you will just have to Manually sync the Audio and Video afterwards which isn't too much hassle.)

5-
Now you have a mute video of yourself and a video with audio of the powerpoint presentation (Or the other way round if your Webcam has a MIC). you may have to sync these two depending on if there is a delay between the two (Google this you can change setttings to add a delay to one device so the audio/video match up e.g. your lips move at the same time as you speak.)

6-
(I'm not sure how you do this but it is 100% possible in OBS) now all left to do is overlay the webcam video over the presentation. A green screen would be preferable to capture just you without the background.

7-
For chapters i would just do the following:
Create one full length video then find stopping points that make sense and chop the video into close to equal sizes, Adding a small intro to each. EXAMPLE:

HOW TO RECORD A MICROPHONE:

Chapter 1: Physical installation (4:32)

Plug it in!
Do
Don't
Quiz

Chapter 2: Drivers (3:59)
Plug n play!
Do
Don't
Quiz

Chapter 3: Record (5:00)

Windows got you covered
Do
Don't
Quiz

FIN

This is not really difficult to accomplish and once you have your workflow worked out you will find better ways of doing things but for your first time it will probably take a little while just to get used to it.

This also probably isn't the most efficient way to do it but again it is free and with little effort.

I am not sure how you want to host them but you tube is probably the easiest way to allow people to access them. and would make it easy for people to find all chapters on a certain subject as you can just create a playlist.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: __Alex__

__Alex__

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Thank you so much for the instructions. I will try with the steps that you have described. Didn't think about the possibility of using the remote desktop on a tablet. If I understand it correctly, then the PowerPoint and the recordings will run on my laptop, and then the tablet is only used for using the pen. Will any tablet with a pen do the job or are there any preferences for, say OS? I was thinking about Ipad 6gen, Huawei M5 or MS Surface Go. Anything I should be aware of when buying? Thanks!

Hi!

I am new to Video Editing, and I would like to find a way to capture my PowerPoint presentations for the purpose of online teaching. So, the result should be a video with PowerPoint slides and an audio with me speaking. I understand that I could simply use one of the capture-the-screen apps for windows, but I would like to have the following extra features:
  • possibility of writing comments and drawing charts on the slides with a pen (different colors) while presenting. Here I assume that I use a tablet.
  • possibility of adding chapters to the video, so that the user can use the next button to go to the next slide. This can either be done automatically (such that the app should somehow be connected to the Power Point) or manually afterwards in a Video Editor (please suggest one).
  • possibility of including a small video of me in one of the corners of the presentation. So, an app captures the screen AND takes the video from the webcam. The final video is the video of the screen with audio from the mic (me talking) and a small frame in one of the corners with video from the webcam. I assume that I will use a PC with Windows 10 here. Here is an example from youtube: example.
The result should be a video which I can save on my own computer and upload to youtube later if I want to.

I already have a laptop with Windows 10 without touchscreen. So, I am thinking about buying a tablet for the possibility of using the pen. I thought about Huawei M5 or the cheap version of Ipad 6 gen. Are these tablets powerful enough to do the job? Also, please suggest which software I should use.

Thanks a lot in advance and have a great day.

No need to re-invent things, PowerPoint has options to save to video directly https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-a-video-c140551f-cb37-4818-b5d4-3e30815c3e83

My company HR and training people use Articulate https://articulate.com/

You can use pretty much any good video editor to add in audio and picture in picture. What you are trying to do people go to school for months for video production, you need several things here.

Look online on how to create instructional/educational videos you will find plenty of guides and software suggestions.