OnLive is Now Free to Play With No Monthly Fee

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]i got a 20mb connection running it from the UK..just heard from the support team because i was getting a error message about latency..apprently it should only be accessible by folks in US who cares about bandwidth requirements..everyone has at least 20mb[/citation]

Are you being sarcastic or just uninformed? I cannot get above 10mb here in the US. And I live in a major metropolitan area. Cable is the best that is offered here. FioS is 1 mile from my house, but they are not expanding anymore.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]have you tried it?dont comment without trying it.. its really impressive tbh.. although i think its a few years before it can fully go.TRY THE DEMO'S AND THEN COMMENT[/citation]

Sure it works alright if your on a low powered machine who couldn't render the chosen game at acceptable levels but for the rest - Why add more x-factors to the formula for a good gaming session? What pisses people out more than when they can't play the game as its supposed to be played, adding the risk of net instabilities to the game evening is a bad move!

Even with a good internet connection you have to live fairly close to the servers to be sure that none of the lines between aren't overloaded ect.

With a installed game... you don't have to worry at all while playing single player and while playing multi you only have to worry about one way over the net.. not two!

Lets wait until you get your first real issues with lag/packetloss/DoS killed servers ect before you speak up, bet you tried it for 30 min's and thought it always will perform that way - Tough luck!

Everyone who knows something about internet also knows that no matter how good the service are it will be downtime/frustration along the road, why add it when you don't have to ? Easy enough question to answer for me!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]have you tried it?dont comment without trying it.. its really impressive tbh.. although i think its a few years before it can fully go.TRY THE DEMO'S AND THEN COMMENT[/citation]
No need. My internet connection isn't stable enough to stream video, much less a game. I had to go offline with Steam last weekend because my connection was just down-period (and in rural Iowa, there's no alternative). Therefore, you can take your pretentious "I know more about your internet connection then you do" attitude and shove it. Seriously, it worked for you? Good for you, but you don't need to be a prick to people with less reliable internet connections.

Simply put, this service isn't for me (and many Americans in rural areas). Yeah, I can download games off steam, if I give it a few hours to do battle with my connection. But to actually need a 100% reliable constant connection is something I've never had anywhere I've lived (New Mexico, Washington, Michigan). Computer games are what I play when the internet is down, what would I do instead, read a book or take a walk, hah!

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]Are you being sarcastic or just uninformed? I cannot get above 10mb here in the US. And I live in a major metropolitan area. Cable is the best that is offered here. FioS is 1 mile from my house, but they are not expanding anymore.[/citation]

I have a ATT Uverse connection with 6 mb service. If I wanted to pay extra, I could get up to 24 mb service. And I know plenty of people who have 20+ mb service from Comcast. So yes, service above what we're getting is pretty common in urban areas (if you want to pay for it that is).

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I tried it on wifi, and [coming in as a huge skeptic] was fairly impressed. I would NEVER competitively game on it, but single player demos are fun time-wasters on an older computer. The lag is honestly not as bad as I thought it would be [there's automatically 100ms or so lag on any input on any current gaming system, including computers, go read up on it], but it does kind of 1. look like ass and 2. have all of a dozen games available. This was an interesting project, but God I feel sorry for the investors.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
OnLive needs a couple AAA exclusives in order to get people's attentions.

I don't see a quality developer taking a chance goign exclusive with OnLive when they can make guaranteed money on the consoles/PCs.

G

yes but Developers only get around $7 if that on a console game or PC game so they dont make much money whereas with Onlive if they decide to charge $50 for the game they get $40 to 45 of that the rest goes to Onlive

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]You guys are all obviously using Internet Explorer because this is not working in Firefox or Chrome, at least for me.[/citation]

It doesn't run in your browser, you download an app and run the program. I downloaded from Chrome just FYI.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I may have to check this out just to play around. Last time I saw a review of the service it was stated that it only came in at 720p and had pretty low details...hopefully that's changed. Either way I don't see myself giving up building gaming rigs to use a service like this.

Tried it with a 7 megabit connection. Lag makes FPS unplayable and definitely rules out multiplayer being worthwhile. Tried borderlands, unsure what settings they used but it looked like crap. maybe it was because I have a 1080 monitor.
This is a good option for those who don't intend to play games much. this way, they buy the games they want and use their bandwidth occasionally. They also must be casual gamers to avoid being frustrated by lag. Seems like they capped the framerate that they send it at aswell as just the delay from ping.
And they must own something worse than a radeon 3850 and must also not be willing to build a new computer.
BTW, crysis was used in all their demos before but it's not available to purchase or try?

Anyway, bye bye (10 minutes =600 seconds. 600kilobits/s (average usage in windows network monitor)= 0.075megabytes/s
-->600*0.075=45megabytes.

bye bye 45 megabytes of bandwidth from my 100GB/month from just 10 minutes. Hmm. that actually seems like a pretty decent number after I calculated it.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
enzo matrix No ther data centers has 1000s of high end server system to support alot of users they use High end hardware so when you run a game like batman AA that runs physx it uses nvidas latest hardware or run Dirt 2 it runs in DX11 mode also locations is key for performance from wikipedia

Architecture
The OnLive service will be hosted in five co-located North American data centers. Currently there are facilities in Santa Clara, California and Virginia, with additional facilities being set up in Dallas, Texas, as well as Illinois, and Georgia.[27][28] OnLive has stated that users must be located within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of one of these to receive high quality service.[29][30][31]
The hardware used is a custom set up consisting of OnLive's proprietary video compression chip as well as standard PC CPU and GPU chips. For older, or lower performance, games such as LEGO Batman, multiple instances can be played on each server using virtualization technology. However, high-end games such as Assassin's Creed II will require one GPU per game. Two video streams are created for each game. One (the live stream) is optimised for gameplay and real-world Internet conditions, while the other (the media stream) is a full HD stream that is server-side and used for spectators or for gamers to record Brag Clips of their games.[23]

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
My computer can run most modern games but I like the service because it is like a cloud rental program. You just cannot easily rent computer game nowadays and this is perfect. I don't need to even download a game now to try it out. Just pay to rent it for a few days and decide if I want to buy the full thing through another method (hard copy)

G

This may have a niche market. I fooled around with it today and tried to play Dirt2. It was fun like playing an arcade game in the days. Options seem limited and I don't see myself using this service as a replacement. I think it would serve as a nice "Demo" service and a try before you buy kinda thing. I usually look at youtube playback and such. So I looked for games I wanted to demo and they were not there. Limited hardware support(controllers).

Nice Idea, but tech is not there and interface has a lot to be desired. I will stick with Steam and such by a large margin.

Oh and it does not play crysis.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Ive found it very neat for demos as you dont download anything at all, just press click and you play. though recently theyve put a lot of deals (like if u buy Mafia 2 you get ANY game FREE!!! you could get mafia 2 + plus a game like batman arkham asylum that costs like $35). very good deals if youre the person who has a good connection but no hardware, you can save a lot of money with this.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
This is by far the worst thing that could possibly happen to PC Gaming Your Connection speed to the internet is not SUFFICIENT to provide good VIDEO quality. If your any kind of a PC Gamer do your self a favor and Buy a Mid-Gaming System for like $700 and not stand for this Crap! Steam got something going for it’s self, but this Onlive again is by far the worst thing that could possibly happen to PC Gaming if I want to watch a Video feed of a Game I’ll just go watch it on Xfire or YouTube.

Appwiz.cpl Onlive uninstall Complete! Thank You.

[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]enzo matrix No ther data centers has 1000s of high end server system to support alot of users they use High end hardware so when you run a game like batman AA that runs physx it uses nvidas latest hardware or run Dirt 2 it runs in DX11 mode also locations is key for performance[/citation]
Uhh what? Care to use punctuation and proper grammar so we can actually understand what you are trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.