OnLive Only Had Days to Live in Cash Flow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
The problem with OnLive is that they are ahead of their time. Perhaps this will be the future of casual gaming. Maybe even serious gaming in a distant future, who knows...

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
impossible to play fast paced action games on it due to the massive lag. and every other games arent that demanding and run on a netbook. until they dont get the latency fixed - and they wont - theres no niche for them.
btw, i tried it and the so called 720p looked like 480p with an ancient codec. so even the image quality was horrible.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]sgtgimpy[/nom]I remember a Google Engineer once gave an example of how to remedy this problem by having third party own the infrastructure and be responsible to maintain and upgrade not based on profit but need. Then all providers are able to come in and provide their services on this network. [/citation]

From each according to his ability; to each according to his needs.

Then the real world steps in...

kronus

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
i honestly blame current isp's for this, i mean from the get go i knew it was going to fail for just one reason.

Bandwidth caps, i currently have a 175 GB cap for a 30 megabit connection, not so shabby, except the 1 megabit upload speed >.>

But for my friend who lives in the same town with a lower tier its 80 gig cap for 20 megabits speed, so he could hit that cap with downloading alone not to mention streaming a game to his p.o.s laptop.

I've actually hit my cap and its not pretty, a dollar every additional gig and im already paying around 70 bucks a month, went over 70 gigs and well $140 bill isnt a nice surprise.

So until theres a good fast internet provider with an unlimited cap or something outrageous, like i dont know im gonna say 500 GB should be pretty unattainable, even with multiple computers and constant downloading; something like this would not be successful.

Here's looking to you google fibre.

Status
Not open for further replies.