OnLive Opens Up for Beta Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubers

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
will this mean no more exciting GPU/CPU for playing game? :( oh well.. maybe then id invest for a faster internet connection if this would really work as promised..

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
If this works ill def be excited. but it only streams at a fairly low resolution by pc gamers standards. I believe its just 1024x768 or somethin like that, maybe 720p. That might deter some gamers. Ill def test it out tho

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
1 word

lag

if your ping is 80ms then you will have a 80ms delay in everything you do in the game, and there is no solution to that unless they can make a server that can see a couple ms into the future

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]gam3r4321[/nom]did anybody receive an email for signing up to test? neither my friends or i have.[/citation]

I got my confirmation nearly instantly after my registration.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]1 wordlagif your ping is 80ms then you will have a 80ms delay in everything you do in the game, and there is no solution to that unless they can make a server that can see a couple ms into the future[/citation]
Or maybe create a server in every country, but then you get it down to probably 40ms or 10ms which is still quite a bit.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]Or maybe create a server in every country, but then you get it down to probably 40ms or 10ms which is still quite a bit.[/citation]

but even if a server is in the same city, foe example, google.com has a server in my city, I could drive there if I wanted to

and my ping in around 40-50ms to their server

a FPS game requires no lag. even having a power saving mouse can cause you to loose a game because of the slight delay it takes to kick from power saving to working

many gamers will go for mice with a 3000 dip resolution because they want faster movements because the delay from trying to move a normal mouse is too long.

trying to market a system that introduces a ping delay to everything is not the way to go.

their system is more suited for RTS games and other kinds or games that are not time critical like first person shooters

remember when you get lag, the AI doesn't have any lag

they may do some fps games but after the beta they will drop FPS games and stick with slower paced RTS and RPG games

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I just went to sign up for Beta....

"You need to be at least 18, based in the US and have a broadband-connected PC running Windows Vista®/XP®, or an Intel®-based Mac."

I am Canadian and use Win7 :( no trials for me.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I just went to sign up for Beta...."You need to be at least 18, based in the US and have a broadband-connected PC running Windows Vista®/XP®, or an Intel®-based Mac."I am Canadian and use Win7 no trials for me.[/citation]

windows 7 uses the same kernel and 99% of other code as windows vista, so you can basically call windows 7 vista, they both have the same support, if it works on vista then it will work on windows 7,

and if needed if your close to the US, you can get a po box in the US and use that to get the beta product :) then just drive to the PO box

Status
Not open for further replies.