OnLive Patents Cloud-Based Streaming PC Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]pakone[/nom]do you really think that companies like microsoft or nintendo will just let onlive take the big "hardware" bussiness from them just like that?[/citation]

OnLive is MS. But it will still suck because it is just another SaaS BS.

[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]OnLive is MS. But it will still suck because it is just another SaaS BS.[/citation]

WRONG! Microsoft has nothing to do with OnLive. Infact they are not even a content or technology partner to OnLive.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
It will be interesting to see how this works out. OnLive doesn't require a high-end PC, which many gamers in the US have, while it does require a good Internet connection, which many people in the US don't have - and can't easily get.

I think the traditional game supply chain can sleep easy for the time being.

I believe you got it backwards, as wanna be hard core gamer and family man
I can not afford to purchase the new hard ware to run the uber games. However,
I do have a very good internet connection.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]this guy deserves a patent, but here let me chime in on this one"Using 3,4,5,6 7 Fingers for multi-touch tracking"if there is a company that developed a way to use more than 2 fingers, and they want a patent on that tech, than they also deserve it, because if they make the tech, and it works should they allow others to have what they made for free? no, they should licences it out, and only make it free if they really want to. there is a reason multi touch only has 2 fingers, and it was hard to even get those 2 to play nice.[/citation]
I agree, getting more than one finger to play nice was a change in the technology (went from resistive to capacitive touch panels, etc...). However to get more than 2 fingers to track simply involves tossing more computing power at the task, you don't need any new technology.

It's like people invented the computer, the internet, the modem, the web browser, etc... Some moron comes along and files a patent that basically reads "using a web browser on a computer connected to the internet with a modem to download data files". Believe it or not, they were granted that patent, I forget the name, but they started suing everyone offering movie, music, and video downloads (basically, any download that wasn't a webpage).

I feel patents should cover only technology (i.e. the servers and technology running OnLive), and not processes or concepts (i.e. Online Gaming in general, 4 finger tracking vs. 3 finger tracking). Unfortunately, patent trolls live off patenting ideas, and not actual working technology. I hate people who only come up with ideas and don't do any of the heavy lifting themselves.

Them: "Let's eat."
Me: "Where?"
Them: "I came up with the idea to eat, you figure out what, where, when, and how."
Me: "F-you!"

cjoeh2000

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]OnLive is MS. But it will still suck because it is just another SaaS BS.[/citation]

Just to clarify, copyrights are effective for the life of the author plus 70 years. Patents last 14 to 20 years depending on type.

Of course none of this applies in Bird Law, which just isn't governed by reason.

Maybe in at least 5 years, but...

A normal online game processed all the video data through local hardware and you simply send the server your new location and actions, plus receive similar information from them.

If you have no local processing they'll have to be streaming you many, many times that information in the form of the updated graphics to display. Your basically streaming a super high-def movie.

Very few MMO's work without latency (delay) issues today, I doubt a requirement of 100x?? the streaming data will help.

I really get the concept. It DOES have a future in some games especially more turn-based ones, maybe all eventually (at least 10 years).

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Sweet, there'll be NO more; modding, hacking, pushing the limits of technology and hardware. But what there will be is more austere CONTROL of your paid-for entertainment, mental explorations and ability to control YOUR hardware and use it how you want. Screw this TOS/EULA/Warranty nonsense, if YOU so choose to void them for your own "entertainment."
__These and other OFF-SITE, ONLINE based forms of media content, distribution and delegation are nothing but logical steps toward total control of your gaming experience. Yep, soon the days of doing wtf you want with YOUR game will be long over and "gaming" will be at the mercy of someone else's ability to maintain servers, the income to support said business, a rules committee to determine your “rights” and continually evolving TOS etc. Who wants this crap? Steam-like invasion model… Screw that.
__It’s like the centralized host, “queen-mother” server and all you pay-to-play DRONES keep her fed and in power. Paying your rent into her, while she continually plops out new accounts for future slaves. Yep offer all the new saps new goodies and deals you are no longer privy to…Yet you still pay to her and she feeds you little updates of BS map remakes and stupid unless weapons and patches. Haha okay enough—I’m getting way out there….

I'll stick with using MY hardware how I see fit... folks you'd better wake up to this and other types of out of user's hands centralization. These are merely beta-tests for future expansion. Just look at the mess WoW is! My buddy... geesh this sad lame spends money RENTING an experience, hoping his ISP isn't having problems, wasting countless hours and hours running around in a fantasy world... SOon as he gets up to do anything, the fantasy is over and he cannot take anything from the game and say it's his. Pay-to-play esp like Wow is just laughable; he's reliant upon blizzard and their hardware and his ISP and his modem and more must-have links in order to play. I'd rather pop in a cart/disc/img and mod, or play how I like, save my games and back up those saves where I CHOOSE.

Seesh... Is this “Internet generation” is going to be a bunch of electronically controlled slaves!? Hahah, unknowing of what hardware freedom and expression is all about; 1 big fanboy community of narcissists and (willingly) socially coerced sheep. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.