OnLive's Virtual Win 7 Desktop Launch for iPad Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
So they just setup a bunch of multi-core multi-socket systems in racks in a datacenter to host several virtual Windows 7 installations and configured a front-end Microsoft Remote Desktop Gateway Server to route the connections?

Or, maybe they just got some weird licensing agreement from Microsoft to let them use Windows MultiPoint Server to avoid the storage needs of numerous separate virtual installs of Windows 7?

Just thinking out loud I guess. It does sound kinda' cool, just trying to figure how this could be profitable. Probably has something to do with that "As-available access to your multi-touch OnLive Desktop" note on the free version and that "Priority access to your multi-touch OnLive Desktop" note for the not free Pro version. Wonder if that only affects when you first connect or if it will actually kick you off the free account to make room for a Pro user? Anyways, I guess they're hoping people pay the money and log in no more than 25% of the time.

G

Why do people with ipads & imacs are so intent using on windows, are we saying that mac hardware is great but the os sucks or something else

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]dunhillextra[/nom]Why do people with ipads & imacs are so intent using on windows, are we saying that mac hardware is great but the os sucks or something else[/citation]

No shit? The kiddie OS is nice for seeing content (as long as its not flash) and all but at the end of the day, its still a huge phone that cant make calls.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]So they just setup a bunch of multi-core multi-socket systems in racks in a datacenter to host several virtual Windows 7 installations and configured a front-end Microsoft Remote Desktop Gateway Server to route the connections?Or, maybe they just got some weird licensing agreement from Microsoft to let them use Windows MultiPoint Server to avoid the storage needs of numerous separate virtual installs of Windows 7?Just thinking out loud I guess. It does sound kinda' cool, just trying to figure how this could be profitable. Probably has something to do with that "As-available access to your multi-touch OnLive Desktop" note on the free version and that "Priority access to your multi-touch OnLive Desktop" note for the not free Pro version. Wonder if that only affects when you first connect or if it will actually kick you off the free account to make room for a Pro user? Anyways, I guess they're hoping people pay the money and log in no more than 25% of the time.[/citation]

Virtual desktops have been set up in many big corporations for a long time (at least as far back as XP). Its easier to maintain and its good enough for light to medium tasks.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
lol, its all i can say...
you think microsoft is charging them for this, or are they paying them to do this? because the way i see it, this is a kick to the balls to apple on levels rarely seen.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]dunhillextra[/nom]Why do people with ipads & imacs are so intent using on windows, are we saying that mac hardware is great but the os sucks or something else[/citation]

No. Nobody is saying Apple hardware (which is all made by other companies, anyway) is great.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]lol, its all i can say...you think microsoft is charging them for this, or are they paying them to do this? because the way i see it, this is a kick to the balls to apple on levels rarely seen.[/citation]

My thoughts precisely, Alidan, except chicks don't have balls, remember? (grins)

Status
Not open for further replies.