Question Only 2 channel audio over HDMI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
I'll start off by paying my TV IS capable of surround sound passthrough. (Vizio p65) The TV is plugged into the computer, which is plugged into the receiver for audio (SPDIF optical). (previously an xbox was connected the same way and gave 5.1 audio). The receiver does NOT have an HDMI input and the computer does NOT have optical. This is the only way I can connect them. Only 2 channel audio is currently working. I've tried buying a cheap optical sound card but that was a waste of time and kept clicking and still only worked with 2 channels on optical.

I have tried using a few different drivers, none of which seem to work. I have turned on surround on the TV, tried multiple ports including the ARC one, and set audio to bitstream. No matter what I do, it will ALWAYS support a MAX 2 channels (under the audio control panel, not "it's only playing 2 channels because i'm playing audio with 2 channels")

GPU (and what's running audio) is RX 480 over HDMI.

Somewhere I heard that it's because windows is trying to push atmos and windows sonic (whatever those crappy virtualized audio systems are) so they're not giving good support for it. Can I force windows to send 5.1 audio? or are there any drivers that will do it for me?

Thanks in advance!

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
You just answered my last question but double check, disconnect the 4k screen and reboot.
Rebooted. No change. Only thing i'm seeing is that now it shows more audio bit-rates and settings. HDCP now says supported (maybe that's why it wasn't working? The manual said something about HDCP-only?), more bit depths and sample rates. Still max 2 channels :/
wcOwKxJ.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Before hinting that possibly it's Lg, i've been looking around regarding Rx480 incase there's something needs to done on this end. It does support True audio so thats not the problem. Im wondering if it's driver related? Are you on the latest Crimson with all audio components installed?

Seen this post regarding someone having trouble with their old Denon and AMD drivers at the time (two yrs ago), should be fixed by now i would think. What Amd driver do you have installed?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/60gqgd/rx480_support_for_51_seems_to_once_again_depend/

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
Before hinting that possibly it's Lg, i've been looking around regarding Rx480 incase there's something needs to done on this end. It does support True audio so thats not the problem. Im wondering if it's driver related? Are you on the latest Crimson with all audio components installed?

Seen this post regarding someone having trouble with their old Denon and AMD drivers at the time (two yrs ago), should be fixed by now i would think. What Amd driver do you have installed?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/60gqgd/rx480_support_for_51_seems_to_once_again_depend/
I'm on the newest driver. I've tried other drivers as well, nothing seems to change.

I'll try to install an old one and update you

TRENDING THREADS