Only 4GB of my 8GB is detected in BIOS and windows

Jules_2

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
Hi there!
I am running on amd a-10 7870 woth no graphics card thus only using the onboard r7 graphics. I installed 2x 4GB 1866 hyperfury ram. When I checked the BIOS it said only 4gb ram but detects 2 ram sticks. Also when i checked amd catalyst, only 1GB detected memory for graphics. Is there anything i can do to extend these memories? I am running win 8.1 64bit.

Solution
Probably not much you can do to extend graphics memory other than buying a graphics card and installing it.

As for the dimm memory sticks. Read your MB manual. With only two sticks they may need to be installed in specific channel slots such as 3 & 5. Check to make sure that your bios is identifying the correct timing speed for your ram. If your bios doesn't report 16gb available then windows wont be able to use it and you'll see a large "reserved for hardware" amount. Your fix is in the correct placement of the memory on the motherboard and/or in the bios settings.

MemGeek

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
Probably not much you can do to extend graphics memory other than buying a graphics card and installing it.

As for the dimm memory sticks. Read your MB manual. With only two sticks they may need to be installed in specific channel slots such as 3 & 5. Check to make sure that your bios is identifying the correct timing speed for your ram. If your bios doesn't report 16gb available then windows wont be able to use it and you'll see a large "reserved for hardware" amount. Your fix is in the correct placement of the memory on the motherboard and/or in the bios settings.

Solution