Question Only 60 fps minecraft w/ shaders, only 18% CPU usage and 35% GPU usage

Dec 20, 2020
Hey. I am playing minecraft with optifine and Sildur's Vibrant Shaders installed. I am getting 50-70 fps at 1440p and I am struggling to figure out why. Here is my rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB @ 3000 MHz
MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II

When playing minecraft with these shaders, (granted settings are at max and 14 chunk render distance) I am getting very poor framerates. I understand that minecraft is more of a CPU dependent game, but I do not understand why it will only use 18% CPU and 35% GPU. The 2700X and RTX 3080 do not bottleneck one another, and minecraft, even with shaders, should not be giving this pair any trouble considering I get 170 FPS on Apex Legends @1440p, max settings. Clearly it is just a matter of low utilization. Note: I have already gone into the task manager and set javaw.exe priority to high and it did not help at all. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Update: The second I enter the nether or end dimension, the GPU utilization will go up to 70, 80, 90, 95%, and my fps skyrockets to between 250 and 400. CPU utilization stays the same. This tells me that the CPU is not the problem. Why won't the GPU utilization go above 40% in the overworld only?

Last edited:

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Hey. I am playing minecraft with optifine and Sildur's Vibrant Shaders installed. I am getting 50-70 fps at 1440p and I am struggling to figure out why. Here is my rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB @ 3000 MHz
MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II

When playing minecraft with these shaders, (granted settings are at max and 14 chunk render distance) I am getting very poor framerates. I understand that minecraft is more of a CPU dependent game, but I do not understand why it will only use 18% CPU and 35% GPU. The 2700X and RTX 3080 do not bottleneck one another, and minecraft, even with shaders, should not be giving this pair any trouble considering I get 170 FPS on Apex Legends @1440p, max settings. Clearly it is just a matter of low utilization. Note: I have already gone into the task manager and set javaw.exe priority to high and it did not help at all. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Update: The second I enter the nether or end dimension, the GPU utilization will go up to 70, 80, 90, 95%, and my fps skyrockets to between 250 and 400. CPU utilization stays the same. This tells me that the CPU is not the problem. Why won't the GPU utilization go above 40% in the overworld only?

Does it happen without the shaders? Try one shader at a time?

Dec 20, 2020
No. Without the shaders I never drop below 250 fps, even with render distance at like 22 chunks. The problem also remains the same with the 3 different shader packs I have tried.