Question Only getting 100Mbps when I should be getting 500

Sep 2, 2022
Recently upgraded my internet to 500mbps and had connection issues so I ran a speed test and was getting anywhere from 50-100Mbps on Ethernet from the router in the same room and two other desktops on wifi on the same floor of the house at 30-60mbps. Had my ISP come out they replaced my router and modem and everything is showing normal as far as speed coming in and out of my router and modem. I tried another Ethernet from the router tried getting a new modem and router and still having the same issue also if you do a speed test from a phone it shows 500-600mbps. Anyone ever have this issue or could point me in the right direction?

Likely is a bad cable. Check the ethernet port status and see if it is running at 100m or gigabit. What is strange is why your pc would not test as fast as the phone does on wifi....then again it depends on where the devices were tested compared to the router.

Sep 2, 2022
Spectrum Router and modem I tried swapping out with a netgear nighthawk AC1900 router and a netgear nighthawk modem I forget which model modem but that actually decreased the speeds somehow

Sep 2, 2022
what the pc?
is the cable cat6?
Custom built PC asus Z490a Mobo and tp link wifi card I used a cat 6 Ethernet cable but it’s getting 600mbps at the end of my Ethernet going into my pc from when my ISP tech came out and tested it and we tried another Ethernet to rule that out as well still same issue

Sep 2, 2022
Likely is a bad cable. Check the ethernet port status and see if it is running at 100m or gigabit. What is strange is why your pc would not test as fast as the phone does on wifi....then again it depends on where the devices were tested compared to the router.
Yeah that’s what’s odd, We tried swapping cables and still the same issue I checked my Ethernet status I believe it showed 1000mbps

If the status showed 1gbit then it is not that cable.

Does the cable go directly into the router or there a switch or something else in between. Could be a cable say between the switch and the router.

What happens if you plug the pc directly into the modem. You might have to reboot the modem to get this to work, many times cable modems lock to the first device they see and will not change until you reboot it.

Sep 2, 2022
I tried plugging the pc into the modem yesterday while on the phone with my ISP tech support and restarting the modem to let it assign a IP to the pc and still the same issue. The cat6 goes from the pc directly to the router. Tried replacing the Ethernet from the modem to the router as well as the cable from the router to the PC