Only getting 200 mbps on a 400 mbps wired desktop connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2018
Recently upgraded my internet speed to 400 mbps from 200 mbps. When doing a speed test my PC never goes above ~170 mbps, but all other wired computers on my network easily reach 400 mbps. At this point I'm simply not sure what is left to try.

I've taken a working Ethernet cable from a working 400 mbps computer and connected it to my PC that is only getting `200 mbps, but that did not solve it so I think I can safely say it must be either my network adapter or a setting within Windows 10 that is not configured properly. All network drivers were un-installed and re-installed from Asus for my motherboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 7, 2018

I'm pretty sure. I'm using the ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING and the networking specs from the product page show Intel® I218V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller - Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz Supports MU-MIMO. But I'm using wired with a cat5e cable.

Aug 7, 2018

I thought the same so made sure steam was closed and no Windows updates were found. Still the same. Went into the bios to see if maybe there might be a setting there, but only an option to enable/disable.

Thinking maybe the best thing to do at this point is to order a new network card from Amazon and try that. I'm guessing if it still does not go beyond 200 mbps then at least maybe it can then be narrowed to a configuration issue although I've looked through all setting I can think of and everything appear correct.

Aug 7, 2018

I did unplug my cable from a computer getting ~400 mbps and tried plugging it into my the PC that is only getting ~200 mbps. I also totally bypassed my router and plugged directly into the cable modem. Such a frustrating issue.

I do want to thank everyone trying to help me troubleshoot this. You all are the best!

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
This might be another classic case of Windows Update hogging internet bandwidth in the background. Start+R > type "resmon.exe" and hit enter. Go to the Network tab and see network activity.

You're most likely to see svchost.exe taking up ridiculous amounts of bandwidth. That, sir, is Windows Update, running in the background.

If that's the case, disable windows update by using Start+R > "services.msc".

Find a service named "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", right click and stop, then right click > Properties > Startup Type = Disabled.

Do the same with a service called "Windows Update". Restart your system and make sure these services have stopped. Then run your speedtest and everything should work normally.

Note - If Windows Update is downloading an update so aggressively, you might have an older version of Windows. Update to the latest version as early as possible for security reasons, etc.

Aug 7, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion! Tried and sadly no change =(

Aug 7, 2018

Thanks! I had not tried this.
Looking at the network tab the most activity I see is 10 kbps. I'm using the latest Insider version of Windows, but to be safe I went ahead and disabled the Windows Update services you mentioned, but it's still capping at about ~200 mbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.