Only Half My RAM Is Showing In UEFI/BIOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
I have an Asus X99-E-10G WS Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99-E-10G-WS/specifications/

I have the latest BIOS version. My RAM is G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (I asked G.Skill and they said it would work with my motherboard). I have them installed just like the motherboard manual said to in the same 4 slots. I just booted this computer for the first time and it only shows 16 gigs. I also ran the MemOk feature by pressing its button on the board. It still thinks I just have 16 gigs.

Please help if you can. It was such a pain doing this build. I really hope I don't have to RMA the board.

Thank you.

Solution

Fixed it! Now I'm wondering if my original TridentZ RAM would work but I don't want to touch it lol. I checked for bent pins (None) and reseated the CPU. That did the trick. Separating the CPU cooler (h100i v2) from the CPU and rejoining them without applying new thermal paste has brought my CPU temp up a bit (36c-37c from 30c-32c) but as I understand it, those temps are fine for broadwell-e so I'll leave it for now until I overclock the CPU.

Thanks everyone for the help. Did anyone else say reseat CPU? That was the answer so I'll mark this if I don't read up and see it in another post.

Answer: Always check socket pins and reseat CPU.

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016

Another update: I went into the BIOS and checked slot by slot. BIOS does recognize that my other 2 RAM sticks are there but it doesn't know their brand/size/etc. A note at the bottom of the screen says something like this could happen if the RAM isn't compatible. It just doesn't make sense to me because how could it be able to use 2 at a time from the same kit and not 4? I also booted into a USB of kubuntu and tried to install it on my m.2 drive. That failed. It sees the m.2 drive but I keep getting an input/output error when it's about half done copying the files. That's a whole different issue I'll investigate later. I figured I could at least use 16 gigs until the other kit comes and hopefully the kit that's on the Asus list will work. Next I guess I'll try to install Windows (Cringe).

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
My linux ISO was messed up. I got it installed. Now I guess all I can do is wait for the new ram. Given my current situation, would I be able to at all rule out bent pins? I mean the various slots work. I just can't get all 4 of these sticks to work at once. I read that you can fix bent pins but Asus pins are much smaller than others and much more pins.

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016

alright, there's definitely something wrong. I just got the new ram. I popped it in the recommended slots. Now I'm getting 24 gigs, not 32. Eh. I have them in a1 b1 c1 d1. b1 isn't showing. I might try to reseat the processor or something. If the socket is damaged I read asus will repair for a fee (Which will suck to be without the motherboard). Any suggestions? I guess I'll be calling Asus tomorrow for some support.

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016

Fixed it! Now I'm wondering if my original TridentZ RAM would work but I don't want to touch it lol. I checked for bent pins (None) and reseated the CPU. That did the trick. Separating the CPU cooler (h100i v2) from the CPU and rejoining them without applying new thermal paste has brought my CPU temp up a bit (36c-37c from 30c-32c) but as I understand it, those temps are fine for broadwell-e so I'll leave it for now until I overclock the CPU.

Thanks everyone for the help. Did anyone else say reseat CPU? That was the answer so I'll mark this if I don't read up and see it in another post.

Answer: Always check socket pins and reseat CPU.

Solution

FrozenBlades

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Im sorry for posting here this late, but I've got the same issue as you. I've got a X99 Mobo and 32 GB RAM
I've tried everything and reaseted my CPU, checked for bent pins, loosened my cooler, checked windows, changed timings voltage etc.
Still isn't fixed... :/