Question Only half of my ram is working and is single channeling

koifishh

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
So recently I upgraded my CPU and that was when problems started arising related to RAM. I also had RAM issues in the past (BSODs etc.) with my current PC but buying new ram fixed it.
As you can see here it shows that all my ram slots are occupied but only half of it is available. In CPU-Z and task manager it also shows only 2 of 4 working.

Here are things that I have tried:
  • Reseating CPU and checking for bent pins.
  • Reseating RAM.
  • Resetting CMOS.
  • BIOS is upgraded to latest
PC Specs:
PSU - Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold
GPU - 3070
CPU - upgraded to 5700x
MB - B550 Tomahawk
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

This whole situation is tiring and any suggestions is more than welcome.

koifishh

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
Have you tried enabling XMP? Also, have you tried disabling XMP and configuring DRAM manually? What was the outcome of both/either?
I have tried enabling/disabling XMP and the results are the same. I have not tried setting DRAM manually as I do not know what numbers to input and scared that I will mess things up

So recently I upgraded my CPU and that was when problems started arising related to RAM. I also had RAM issues in the past (BSODs etc.) with my current PC but buying new ram fixed it.
As you can see here it shows that all my ram slots are occupied but only half of it is available. In CPU-Z and task manager it also shows only 2 of 4 working.

Here are things that I have tried:
  • Reseating CPU and checking for bent pins.
  • Reseating RAM.
  • Resetting CMOS.
  • BIOS is upgraded to latest
PC Specs:
PSU - Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold
GPU - 3070
CPU - upgraded to 5700x
MB - B550 Tomahawk
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

This whole situation is tiring and any suggestions is more than welcome.
Were these ram sticks a kit of 4 or 2 kits of 2 or 4 singles?

koifishh

Prominent
Sep 4, 2020
2 sticks at a time.
If you know which 2 sticks belong to each kit take the first kit and put the sticks in a2+b2 slots.
Does the bios show 2x8....16GB?

Repeat with the 2nd kit.
I did what you said and it shows 8gb for both kits and also single channel in CPU-Z. I also kept a note of which ones were working from each pair in CPU-Z and paired these two working ones and now it is 16gb also dual channel.
So I guess the other two sticks are just broken? I find that hard to believe because these ram kits were brand new and what are the chances that each kit has a broken stick. Also wondering why it only stopped working when upgrading my CPU.