[SOLVED] Only half of my ram shows up in bios and windows

TheOnePhoenix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
So I’ve been using 8gb (2x4gb) of DDR4 for a while and decided to upgrade so now I have 4x4gb of ram, all identical sticks, Corsair vengeance 2400mhz. Problem is my pc only displays 8gb of it, in the bios and windows. However on CPUz it shows that there is 16gb, so obviously it’s connected properly. how can I fix this issue? Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Where can I see hardware reserved?

Nevermind I found it, but it only says 57.9mb and above it says 2 out of 4 slots used.

Yeah, either there in task manager or System information in control panel.

Run the new ram set on their own in A2 & B2 slots, see if both register in Windows & Bios. If they do, then put back your original ram in A1 & B1 and see if all register. Assuming you had your original ram in A2 & B2, the action of swapping them around may help, but no guarantees.

TheOnePhoenix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
Yeah, either there in task manager or System information in control panel.

Run the new ram set on their own in A2 & B2 slots, see if both register in Windows & Bios. If they do, then put back your original ram in A1 & B1 and see if all register. Assuming you had your original ram in A2 & B2, the action of swapping them around may help, but no guarantees.

My bad, in the beginning I stated they were identical sticks however upon taking out the old ones I noticed they were 2666mhz and the new ones are 2400. Will they still work together?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My bad, in the beginning I stated they were identical sticks however upon taking out the old ones I noticed they were 2666mhz and the new ones are 2400. Will they still work together?

Possibly, 2666 would downclock to 2400. Motherboards can be sensitive to memory fabrics and IC chips, any minute difference in the manufacturing process can cause problems even if they were the same, this is why memory sticks are binned together to eliminate differences as much as possible.

With 2400 ram in, load bios defaults. Then put 2666 in and hope for the best.

There are possible (i stress may be) workarounds involving ram timings and voltages. If you want to try meddle with these settings if auto doesn't work let me know.

TheOnePhoenix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
Possibly, 2666 would downclock to 2400. Motherboards can be sensitive to memory fabrics and IC chips, any minute difference in the manufacturing process can cause problems even if they were the same, this is why memory sticks are binned together to eliminate differences as much as possible.

With 2400 ram in, load bios defaults. Then put 2666 in and hope for the best.

There are possible (i stress may be) workarounds involving ram timings and voltages. If you want to try meddle with these settings if auto doesn't work let me know.
I will return the new sticks and get the matching ones and tell you how that goes

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your motherboard and which Windows are you running?

Did you load bios defaults?

Can you please post a screenshot of cpuz memory & spd tab for each set separately. I mean only have two sticks in, boot, grab screen shots, and do the same for the new set. Describe which set the screenshots belong to.

RPVMLVOL

Reputable
May 14, 2015
Having the same issue with my HP Z240. CPU-ID shows all (4) sticks of 8Gb - 32 total

Yet BIOS and Win 10 S system Info only show 16 Gb in Channel One.

Have updated BIOS to latest version,

What next?