Question Only part of the AIO radiator is getting hot, is that normal ?

Oct 10, 2023
Hello,

My CPU seems to be heating up way too easily, and I'm trying to find out the problem.

I have a liquid freezer II on my PC that is overheating a bit too easily.

I've tried re-paste it two times. Both times, I noticed something weird with my tank/radiator.

When my CPU is at 100 degrees for awhile, most of the on the AIO doesn't feel warm at all.
Only the area above the tubes is hot to the touch.

computer.jpg

Even with my CPU running at 100 degrees for awhile, the only warm air that comes out is directly above the tubes.
No warm air comes out the top from anywhere else.

Is this normal? I feel like it's not...

Thanks for any help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

When you've stated overheating, did you see if removing the front panel as well as the top changes your temps?

When my CPU is at 100 degrees for awhile, most of the on the AIO doesn't feel warm at all.
This seems like the pump in your AIO might've failed. Can you work with an air cooler to see if the temps do drop for you?

Oct 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

When you've stated overheating, did you see if removing the front panel as well as the top changes your temps?

This seems like the pump in your AIO might've failed. Can you work with an air cooler to see if the temps do drop for you?

CPU: I7-2700k
CPU Cooler: Liquid Freezer II 280
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB
SSD/HDD: SSD 970 evo plus
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 OC Edition
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G6, 80 Plus Gold 850W
Chassis: Phanteks Eclipse P600S
Monitor: LG 27GN800-B Ultragear

The bios is version 1.80 and the PSU and every other part were bought brand new a year ago.

Removing both panels doesn't change any temps of the CPU.

I don't have an air cooler currently, but the temps currently are "OK" most of the time.
But when something slightly more CPU heavy happen, temperatures spike quickly.

For example:
  • Running a full scan on Windows Defender causes my CPU temp to spike to 100 degrees.
  • Browsing the web occasionally gets random CPU spikes that bring temps to 80+ temporarly.
  • Opening Photoshop cause my CPU temps to spike to 100 degrees temporarly

Either pump dead or cpu block clogged.
I think the pump is running, since one tube is slightly warmer than the other.
..... But I do very occasionally hear a high pitch whining sound from the pump, no other noises coming from it.

Looking at the replies so far, I guess it really isn't normal for it to just heat up at only the front of the radiator then?

Looking at the replies so far, I guess it really isn't normal for it to just heat up at only the front of the radiator then?
yes

did you remove the foil from the cooler before installing it on the CPU?
View: https://youtu.be/YELEWCWODTE?t=403

update your BIOS version

I think the pump is running, since one tube is slightly warmer than the other.
..... But I do very occasionally hear a high pitch whining sound from the pump, no other noises coming from it.
This means - liquid flow is not happening.
If it was working properly, then temperature difference between tubes would not be perceivable.

Your AIO is broken.
Since it is not meant to be user serviceable - you replace it.

Oct 10, 2023
yes

did you remove the foil from the cooler before installing it on the CPU?
View: https://youtu.be/YELEWCWODTE?t=403

update your BIOS version
Thanks.

Yea, the foil was removed.

This means - liquid flow is not happening.
If it was working properly, then temperature difference between tubes would not be perceivable.

Your AIO is broken.
Since it is not meant to be user serviceable - you replace it.
Oh wow, I had mentioned the temperature difference to the AIO's Support team and they didn't say anything about it :(