Question only pcie 2.0 gpu's work in my second hand mobo

Jun 14, 2022
hello, i have upgraded my mobo to one witch has pcie 3.0 but only 2.0 gpu's seem to work on it. the secondhand mobo is a msi h77ma-g43, and the two 3.0 gpus witch both worked in my old mobo are GTX 650ti and R9 280x, and the gpu witch does work on the h77ma-g43 is GT730. the 3.0 ones both get spinning fans but no output, and the are not listed in device manager.
ive tried clearing cmos, changing some settings in uefi and a lot research but cant seem to find the problem.
i have i7 2600,R9 280x, 2 x 8 gb crucial ram and a 450 w PSU, but everything worked with my old mobo witch was a h61h2-lm3.
does anyone know what to do?

4745454b

Titan
A couple of things. First, your CPU supports PCIe 2, not 3. So you'll never get 3.0 working with the 2600. It should still output on 2.0 settings however.

You didn't list your monitor and PSU. (450W doesn't tell us anything.) What parts did work on the old board? There is a huge difference in power draw between the 730 and the other cards. Are you using adapters? Are you using VGA/Dsub? Adapters to use VGA?

Jun 14, 2022
thanks for the reply, aha, i did not know about the cpu, ill start looking for a better one.
my monitor is a Philips 240v5qdsb on a dvi-d cable, and the PSU is FSP450-60EMDN. i am using a PCI express power molex, male 2x4 pin to female 8 pin, but only for the R9 280x.
Before on the other mobo with the R9 280x i used approximately 350 max watt when gaming. but this was mesured on a wall plug watt meter.

4745454b

Titan
i did not know about the cpu, ill start looking for a better one.

The one similar to your current CPU is the 3770/3770K. You can drop down to the i5 3570K, but you'll lose the hyper threaded cores. Probably not a good idea. With the cards you mentioned there shouldn't be a difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0. I mentioned it because I didn't want you getting a 3.0 card working and then wonder why it's still in 2.0 mode.

my monitor is a Philips 240v5qdsb on a dvi-d cable,

So you aren't using any adapters? I was hoping this was a simple case of trying to use an old VGA monitor which won't work as the 280X doesn't have any analog outputs. Can you test the other cards? Make sure they still work? You said they worked with the old board, how long ago was that?

i used approximately 350 max watt when gaming. but this was mesured on a wall plug watt meter.

Right, so it's not taking PSU efficiency into account. If that's what is being pulled from the wall while gaming, the machine wants 80-85% of that. I can't find that exact FSP online so I can't check. But your system uses ~280-300W. It's good to know the 730 works. I'm leaning towards dead cards. I would say the new board isn't hooked up right, but you said the 730 works on it?

What bios is it running? Is there an update?

Jun 14, 2022
With the cards you mentioned there shouldn't be a difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0
ah okay, so I can just stay with the 2600 and let them run on 2.0 if i can get them to work.
So you aren't using any adapters? I was hoping this was a simple case of trying to use an old VGA monitor which won't work as the 280X doesn't have any analog outputs. Can you test the other cards? Make sure they still work? You said they worked with the old board, how long ago was that?
no, no adaptors, I can try to connect the 650ti with a dvii to vga adaptor, and let u know if it works.
i had the old board installed about a week ago.

4745454b

Titan
Make sure the pins on the GPUs are clean. I'd also reset the bios to default. In case you've flipped something that shouldn't have been flipped.

My old system was a Gigabyte z77 with a 3570 upgraded to a 3770K and a 7950 aka R9 280. I used an Antec 750W green, then a Superflower sourced 450W. I never had any issues. The only time it didn't work was when I tried to use a single strand of PCIe plugs from my 750W. I had to use two. But I'm assuming that's not an issue for you and a 450W. Maybe it is the CPU but it shouldn't be.