Only PNG Thumbnail previews in folder explorer not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangaloo

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Hi,

Recently, all my PNG files have started to no longer preview in file explorer (folders, desktop, etc)

Since I work with image formats often, this is a huge deterrence for me and I really would like to figure this out.

JPEG and other image formats still show in thumbnail previews, which seems odd.

I have tried the following already:

-Unchecking/checking all options related to thumbnails in Folder Options
-Disk Cleanup to delete thumbnail cache
-manually delete my thumbnail db cache files thru c/users/etc

Is there anything else I can try? Thanks so much in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master

tangaloo

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Thanks for the help!

I tried deleting the cachce again with explorer closed, but it still didn't work.

The "open with Windows Photos" solution didn't work as well - but I noticed that if i manually did the Open With > Photos > Choose as Default when opening a PNG, it now starts showing the preview thumbnail...for just that image.

The rest of the PNGs dont work still.. so not sure whats going on here still :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
try settings/apps/default apps
click "choose default application by type
see what PNG is linked to, set it to photos if it isn't already.

I don't know if that will help, figured it might just be the app wasn't the default app for file type.

Colif

Win 11 Master
unlikely this will help but worth a try:

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, 2bd command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Try making a new user and see if same thing happens to it. Make it admin so it has same access as normal user - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

tangaloo

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Didnt work :(

Also - some of my windows apps dont have thumbnails anymore - such as Skype, Spotify, Windows Photo Viewer itself... I cant figure out what could have caused this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what program are they associated with? Might be a bug in it, another angle to look at.

what view are you using in File exploder?

How much free space on drive ( it seems lack of space can cause this)

its very odd for it to survive a fresh install. Did you use same user name/email address for the user? I know we made a new user before but that was on previous install, it could be the account is grabbing settings off your roaming profile. via sync accounts (it shows in settings/accounts/Sync your settings,)

Status
Not open for further replies.