Only the brave may click on this... (Gigabyte G1975X)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

antoant

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thank you for pointing that out Tom. I have read all 45 something pages but that was back in May when the article came out. Please forgive my bad memory. So it is not the MB since the people at Tom's used it to implement their OC project. I still think though that it might be the RAM that cannot keep up and/or the BIOS. As for increasing the voltage of the CPU, both Tom's writers and some people here have pointed out that one should be able to go up to 3.6 GHz before having to provide extra juice for the CPU.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Sorry to say it man but I don't think you'll have enough juice (power) to OC much further. Plus you only have one 22amp 12v rail... not sure if that's stable enough for what you are doing, especially with the overclocking and water cooling.

pathogen

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
BigMcJ, I also have the gigabyte G1975x and am overclocking a pentium D 805 on it. Right now Im at a nice, stable 3.8GHz, but I havent been able to get too much above that. I have a kingwin liquid cooler, so the heat isnt the problem, but I know that to get anywhere past 3.33GHz on this board you have to make sure you set the cpu voltage to at least 1.5V. Anything less and you wont get stability. Also, make sure you upgrade your bios to v4. The 805D isnt even supported on this MB until version 3.

Im still trying to get to 4.0GHz, but I cant keep it stable. It will work through a 3Dmark05 run, but I actually get a LOWER cpu score than I do at 3.8GHz (by almost 2000 points!). I cant quite figure this out yet, but Im still trying.

hairyhaggis

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Sounds like you have o/c the mobo just a bit much, the mobo detecting this will then reset itself to the factory defaults.

Remeber : Not all mobos overclock to the same fsb!

amdave

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Oddly enough, this sounds very much like a voltage problem. I know you read the toms article to pick the 1975x, but are you boosting voltage accordingly as you step up the processor speed? If you simply keep boosting the fsb without increasing the voltage, the system will get to the point where it won't boot anymore. The motherboard will engage a default state boot routine so that you don't have to clear the cmos every time.

On first glance, this seems to be the problem, especially if your VCORE spec for the processor is >1.337V as it was in the THG article.