Only use 1 program

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is it possible with GPO (on Windows Server 2003) to restrict a user to only
using one particular program?

I want to give a client access to my Terminal Server but I want him to use
only one program. I know this can be done on the client side, but the user
can easily change this...

Marc

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:20:41 +0200, "Marc"
<Marc.VanSchandevijl@-removethis-ping.be> wrote:

>Is it possible with GPO (on Windows Server 2003) to restrict a user to only
>using one particular program?
>
>I want to give a client access to my Terminal Server but I want him to use
>only one program. I know this can be done on the client side, but the user
>can easily change this...
>
>Marc

Run only allowed Windows applications
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System

Description
Limits the Windows programs that users have permission to run on the computer.

If you enable this policy, users can only run programs that you add to the List
of Allowed Applications in this policy.

Note

This policy only prevents users from running programs that are started by the
Windows Explorer process. It does not prevent users from running programs such
as Task Manager, which are started by the system process or by other processes.
Also, if users have access to the command prompt, Cmd.exe, this policy does not
prevent them from starting programs in the command window that they are not
permitted to start by using Windows Explorer.

When both the Run only allowed Windows applications policy and the Don't run
specified Windows applications policy are enabled, they are both applied. Users
can only run the programs listed in the Run only allowed Windows applications
policy. However, if a program in that list is prohibited by the Don't run
specified Windows applications policy, it does not run.

See tip 3507 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.