OOSU10 Corrupted my Windows? HELP!

Jul 4, 2018
So I recently finished setting up my Windows 10 installation, I had set many files with symbolic links to my other HDD to save space on my SSD and then finally I installed Shut Up 10 to see if I could get these Cortana notifications to stop, I applied all the recommended settings and then I saw a post on HowToGeek about the damage that OOSU software can do to your system (and other spyware removal tools) by changing and adding registry values etc.

My problem was initially that after applying and restarting my system, I went into Windows Update and it kept saying "Some settings are managed by your organisation", I then tried to undo the OOSU settings by restoring from system restore that was created by the app before I applied the settings but of course because I had symbolic links set up I kept getting an error code that the restore couldn't complete. So I just set all the sliders to off within the OOSU app and deleted the app from my computer, I then restarted and the message was still there in Windows Update, after tons of searching online and playing around with group policy settings I found that I had to delete a registry key for the message to go away. Before this though I was trying to solve the system restore error since I didn't know that the symbolic links were causing the issue at the time so I found some blog site that posted about the issue and mentioned booting into USB windows media and entering command prompt to change the hidden file name of WindowsApps to WindowsApps.old and applying some sort of attrib -h command stuff in the command prompt. The problem was that I also didn't know what these commands did and of course when I tried restoring through the USB it failed again, then I tried booting into windows and nothing would load, the loading icon on the mouse appeared but nothing else just a black screen. So I went back to the USB command prompt and change the Windows apps file name back and applied that attrib -h command again. Windows then loaded up fine but I'm not sure if this would warrant a fresh re install of Windows.

But now I'm not sure if the OOSU app has corrupted any system files as well, Windows loads fine but I noticed that when I wake my computer from sleep the screen backlight turns on and there is a delay between moving the mouse and the Windows screen actually displaying. Is this evidence that maybe some system files/settings are corrupt?

Do you think I should reformat my drives and reinstall windows again? It took such a long time to set up everything.

Lutfij

Titan
The easiest option sit o just format and reinstall and stay away from anything that has to do with editing the registry or shell of the OS. Windows 10 doesn't like anyone poking around in its innards. When you do hit something, it usually means your system is belly up.

You could likewise try a repair install.