News Open Source Community Ponders Removing Code Optimizations for Russian Processors

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I don’t know man. All these sanctions may be going too far when you consider that it impacts the people in the country that may be innocent from the decision to invade Ukraine. Leaders and rich may be impacted, but to a lesser extent.

I don’t know man. All these sanctions may be going too far when you consider that it impacts the people in the country that may be innocent from the decision to invade Ukraine. Leaders and rich may be impacted, but to a lesser extent.
I don't believe either those processors or that software are likely to be used much by the general public. Though the public being affected by sanctions isn't entirely a bad thing, as that will lead to more dissent against their government's actions. If government approval drops to record lows, that may give them more reason to change their course of action, or even replace some of the leaders making those decisions.

In any case, as the article points out, removing the optimizations wouldn't make much difference either way, since the code is already out there, and all anyone would have to do is fork the code and add them back in. It could perhaps deter work on future optimizations, but that code was likely contributed by the organizations using the processors in the first place, so they could continue development on their own.