[SOLVED] Open Source Network Discovery / Monitoring?

ember1205

Honorable
Oct 6, 2016
I'm wondering if there's a simple, straight-forward FOSS tool out there that can discover all devices on my network and periodically monitor them. I'm in process of revamping my home network and one of the things I am going to be doing is a re-addressing of things to open up space at one end of the DHCP spectrum. I don't know all of the devices that have addresses and my router doesn't always show them, so I was going to deploy a tool that could map my network (compile a list of devices, hopefully with at least some clues to the manufacturers) and then periodically detect new devices that connect.

What's out there that would be simple to set up on openSUSE?

Solution
I'm wondering if there's a simple, straight-forward FOSS tool out there that can discover all devices on my network and periodically monitor them. I'm in process of revamping my home network and one of the things I am going to be doing is a re-addressing of things to open up space at one end of the DHCP spectrum. I don't know all of the devices that have addresses and my router doesn't always show them, so I was going to deploy a tool that could map my network (compile a list of devices, hopefully with at least some clues to the manufacturers) and then periodically detect new devices that connect.

FING is a good discovery tool. For continuous monitoring I use nagios.

kanewolf

Titan

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

ember1205

Honorable
Oct 6, 2016

Thanks. I'll take a look...

I have experience with NAGIOS from a while back. I can't remember if it used to do discovery or not and have no idea of the Core version does now. I remember it being good at the monitoring but you had to configure the various hosts and services by hand.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks. I'll take a look...

I have experience with NAGIOS from a while back. I can't remember if it used to do discovery or not and have no idea of the Core version does now. I remember it being good at the monitoring but you had to configure the various hosts and services by hand.
Nagios does require configuration. I did all mine by hand. There may be automated config generators.

ember1205

Honorable
Oct 6, 2016
Nagios does require configuration. I did all mine by hand. There may be automated config generators.
Wasn't sure if it had added any sort of discovery... Since one of the things I'm hoping to get longer term is the ability to automatically identify 'newly seen' devices, this wouldn't really fit with what I'm hoping for. FING isn't going to be helpful either as there is no server type component and nothing at all that runs on linux. :(