OpenAAC May Hint to the Future of CUDA at Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]wait, i thought this is what OpenCL was for.[/citation]
Yeah I was wondering why Nvidia wasn't throwing more weight and tools behind OpenCL. Oh wait, then it'd run on AMD hardware effortlessly, too.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom] Oh wait, then it'd run on AMD hardware effortlessly, too.[/citation]

LOL, you obviously have zero openCL development experience in coding or optimizing for openCL devices I see.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and all benefit, but... that's first will happen in unix/linux space... the windows programmers are lazy to adopt things to speed up workflow... we still have 32bit one trended applications...

That's just something they needed to do to survive since OpenCL has ended up being supported by all the major software & hardware firms, whereas CUDA is still proprietary to NVIDIA and OpenCL doesn't seem to run as well on Nvidia as on ATI stuff, so .........the step.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Nintendork[/nom]Cuda was dead long ago, another failure for the nvidia fanboys that list cuda/physx (another failed propitary thing) vs radeon gpu's.[/citation]

You know that Cuda is still the largest deployed and developed for GPGPU solution by a long shot right?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]That's just something they needed to do to survive since OpenCL has ended up being supported by all the major software & hardware firms, [/citation]
What are you talking about? First of all, what OpenCL applications are you referring to? I'm not aware of very many, and no, they haven't been widely adopted. As of now, CUDA is by far the most widely adopted parallel computing architecture.

[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]whereas CUDA is still proprietary to NVIDIA and OpenCL doesn't seem to run as well on Nvidia as on ATI stuff, so .........the step.[/citation]
Wow dude, you really sound like you know what you're talking about. Nvidia provides full support for OpenCL and did so before AMD. In fact, one of the few OpenCL applications I'm aware of, SmallLuxGPU, seems to perform significantly better on Fermi based GPU's, especially gf100/110.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/nvidias-geforce-gtx-590-duking-it-out-for-the-single-card-king/15

Yes, CUDA is proprietary, but given Nvidia's market share relative to AMD's in GPGPU computing, introducing a proprietary standard really isn't much of a problem.

If you're just going to spam baseless AMD fanboyism in the hopes of deceiving the ignorant, may I suggest...

http://semiaccurate.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS