News OpenAI and Microsoft reportedly planning $100 billion datacenter project for an AI supercomputer

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Author please rewrite this sentence: "The system could require several Stargate could need so much power ("at least several gigawatts") that Microsoft and OpenAI are considering alternative sources of power, such as nuclear."

Reactions: scottsoapbox

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
Although I understand the push to bigger and bigger infrastructure for AI, I really don’t understand why Microsoft, Google, Amazon,… persist in using energy inefficient silicon transistors.

At this stage, it seems obvious that there is a need to scale-up spintronics MRAM manufacturing (Avalanche technolog, Everspin,…) because it is a key step in enabling spintronics technology which is a beyond CMOS technology that could enable much more energy efficient digital logic computing , while having the great advantage to also be more amenable to AI.
Beyond CMOS technology like spintronics and Non-Volatile-Memory MRAM (SOT-MRAM, VCMA MRAM,…) would help enable things like Intel MESO concept, and I guess current AI infrastructure could actually be used to fastrack MRAM R&D (to find the right combination of materials,…).

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Although I understand the push to bigger and bigger infrastructure for AI, I really don’t understand why Microsoft, Google, Amazon,… persist in using energy inefficient silicon transistors.

At this stage, it seems obvious that there is a need to scale-up spintronics MRAM manufacturing (Avalanche technolog, Everspin,…) because it is a key step in enabling spintronics technology which is a beyond CMOS technology that could enable much more energy efficient digital logic computing , while having the great advantage to also be more amenable to AI.
Beyond CMOS technology like spintronics and Non-Volatile-Memory MRAM (SOT-MRAM, VCMA MRAM,…) would help enable things like Intel MESO concept, and I guess current AI infrastructure could actually be used to fastrack MRAM R&D (to find the right combination of materials,…).
Because they want to build this TODAY.

Reactions: Evildead_666

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Stargate? It sounds like it requires as much power as those "Stargate" that we see in movies. I wonder how much power we use to power all these power hungry hardware globally. I seriously wonder if we can ever win the climate change "war" or just some wishful thinking.

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
Because they want to build this TODAY.

Sure I understand that, but they should actually ALSO at the same time, significantly increase the budget allocated to scale-up manufacturing of emerging spintronics related technology (like Non-Volatile-Memory MRAM which is likely the low hanging fruit as a 1st step) because it is a key enabler for much lower power digital logic and AI computing.

It is like all those companies were persisting to use vacuum tubes, when silicon transistors was the emerging next generation lower power computing technology : sure you can develop a supercomputer with vacuum tubes, but it would be very, very energy inefficient.

The CHIPS Act should actually allocate much, much more funding to scale-up High Volume Manufacturing (HVM) of beyond CMOS spintronics related technologies like MRAM, or Intel MESO concept as it would provide the US a unique opportunity to regain leadership by investing early in the next generation computing technology. It is what China did with batteries, EVs, solar panels,… which they are now the leaders…

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Stargate? It sounds like it requires as much power as those "Stargate" that we see in movies. I wonder how much power we use to power all these power hungry hardware globally. I seriously wonder if we can ever win the climate change "war" or just some wishful thinking.
Climate "change" was always a ruse to steal money and rights from the common people, which is why there are such contradictions. The ultimate dream of leaders has always been a totalitarian state like the Nazi Germany/Soviet Union of the past/North Korea.

The ruling elites are using private jets to fly everywhere. They don't care about the environment, nor YOU for that matter.

AI is likely going to be a big part of that scheme too. Already blatantly steals countless amounts of data from the internet such as from graphics artists. Nothing intelligent about it.