Question openmediavault upgrade existing setup to raid10

zaksi

Honorable
Apr 9, 2015
Hi,
How can I upgrade from a single HDD to raid10 with 3 additional HDDs. My original HDD is already filled up with data and I don't want to lose it. Also don't want to back up that data to another storage then wipe the disk, just to have all four drives prepped for raid 10.

Any advice would be appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
How can I upgrade from a single HDD to raid10 with 3 additional HDDs. My original HDD is already filled up with data and I don't want to lose it. Also don't want to back up that data to another storage then wipe the disk, just to have all four drives prepped for raid 10.

Any advice would be appreciated.
"Also don't want to back up that data to another storage then wipe the disk, just to have all four drives prepped for raid 10. "

That is not an option.
You can't implement a RAID array and simultaneously keep the data on the original drive, which will be one member of the array.

"already filled up with data and I don't want to lose it "
Then surely you already have a backup of this, correct?

zaksi

Honorable
Apr 9, 2015
"Also don't want to back up that data to another storage then wipe the disk, just to have all four drives prepped for raid 10. "

That is not an option.
You can't implement a RAID array and simultaneously keep the data on the original drive, which will be one member of the array.

"already filled up with data and I don't want to lose it "
Then surely you already have a backup of this, correct?

From what I've read QNAP nas has an option for this. I know that they have their own OS, but I thought openmediavault has something simillar.

USAFRet

Titan
From what I've read QNAP nas has an option for this. I know that they have their own OS, but I thought openmediavault has something simillar.
When I stood up my QNAP with a RAID 5, it specifically stated that whatever data is on the drives will be lost. ANd it did.
A RAID 0 (the 0 part of the RAID 10) will be the same way.

Can you show some documentation from QNAP that says it will do this?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think the first question I would ask about this situation is: why? For what exact purpose are you setting up RAID 10? If you're simply in the role of a consumer trying to make a fairly standard backup of important data, this is like using open heart surgery to cure a stomach ache. If, on the other hand, you're setting up a database server, then RAID 10 is an elegant solution.

A solution should be no more complex than the needs of the specific problem demand.