OpenVPN on RaspBerryPi 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vascobrissos14

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello,

I have a RaspberryPi 3 running an OpenVPN server and it works really well. I'm currently on another country and I can stream my country's TV channels through the VPN.

But there is a problem.

I have a 200/100Mbps internet plan and even thought I got that plan and I get all the bandwidth requested, the VPN only gets to 60/70mbps of download on my friend's house (couple KM's aways) and I only get 15-25mbps max on another country.

I know it's normal that the speed gets lower from country's to country's but it also get's lower from my house to my friends house and it's only a couple KM's away.

My question is, should I get a USB to Gigabit adapter and tweak some settings for my speed to rise or is this the CPU and other native hardware limitating the speed?

Again, I'm very happy with what I have right now, but bigger it better (in this case) and if I can get bigger for 5€, I'm going to do it.

Thanks for every help!

Solution
Running VPN places significant load on the CPU, so I suppose the bottleneck here is the RPi (with not the fastest CPU, and both WiFi/Ethernet hanging off USB ports).

vascobrissos14

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

Hey again,

Just tried what you said and yes, when I run a "benchmark", the 3rd core gets to 100% and that limits the speed.

Is there any way to multi thread openvpn? Like make all 4 cores work at the same time?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.