Opera Releases Neon 'Concept Browser'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrotus

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Downloaded and installed but while looking different it doesn't seem to be very useful. It, without asking, pirated browsing history and who knows what else from my Firefox browser. Haven't been able to find a bookmarks option. I'll probably uninstall it and continue on with Firefox.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I think most people just want a browser that works right. They don't want it to be all artsy fartsy and cartoon like well unless your 6 years old then maybe. All it has to do is display the page properly it don't need to make little bubbles etc. Once you figure that out lets us download that instead..Thanks Have a Nice Day.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
There's already an actual next-generation browser from the real people behind Opera (not the Chinese investment group that owns the Opera brand), called Vivaldi.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
They think too much on casual browsing behavior, not the real multitab browsing (10-20+).

Firefox+session manager+classic theme (tabs on bottom) meets all my needs.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
People are suprisingly knowledge about browsers. They know pages work differently in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge/Internet Explorer. They have a strong a reason to have all three of those browsers installed. Opera died when they dropped their rendering engine, Presto. A different UI and some features that can be achieved through plugins in other browers are not compelling reasons to use Opera.

I can understand that she's not a native English speaker, but "Oprah browser"? She must be trying to appeal to their new, more casual audience. >_>

I used Opera as my primary browser for around a decade before jumping ship when they discontinued their original desktop suite in favor of their current feature-deprived Chromium reskin. I moved to Firefox, and more recently Pale Moon, since even Firefox has been moving in a bad direction lately. Vivaldi is my go-to Chromium-based browser, since it's a lot like classic Opera, and they actually put some effort into building a usable interface. Vivaldi is more like what Opera's move to Chromium should have been.

I keep multiple sessions, some with around 100 tabs, and use Session Manager and a number of other extensions to keep that usable. I can imagine how navigable that would be with balls moving around all over the place.

I may need to check those two browsers out. Vivaldi, just to see how classic they got ir, and Pale Moon, just to see what it can and cannot do.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"Tabs are represented by spheres on the right side of the page that automatically rise or fall based on how often they're used."

Is there any evidence that people want their stuff rearranged like this? Are people losing productivity because things are where they put them, and apparently wanted them to begin with?

3ogdy

Distinguished
OK, copying Facebook Messenger and CrApple's iWatchYou GUI is not exactly innovative, but hey, it's new , it's different...not sure whether somebody like me, who has about 100 tabs open at the same time would actually enjoy using that. I hate Chrome for that same reason: more tabs means making each tab smaller.
Da duck?

Vivaldi, while I still have it, is pretty awful. Slow as hell and the concept of startup, for them, apparently means:
1. Prolonged high CPU usage
2. Reload each and every single icon on my taskbar twice, one by one (90 icons on a triple-height bar)
3.Take a break
4. Finally start an initially laggy browser.
What are you smoking? Got in touch with them and couldn't solve the problem.

Maxthon runs better. I have Chrome, Firefox, Opera.
System startup takes quite a hit with Chrome, despite me using an SSD 830.
"Let's slow the entire system down in order to pretend our browser is fast". Awesome thinking, Google.

Having said that, I'm mostly using Firefox. I don't see where the need to load each and every tab on startup comes from.
32 GB of RAM are not for Chrome to load its tabs in.

Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox, that split off completely around version 25. As such, it looks and behaves a lot like Firefox from a few years back, but with security updates and additional performance and privacy options. I like it, but it does have at least one notable issue, and that's that it isn't compatible with many newer Firefox extensions. In many cases, you may have to use an older version of an extension, if one exists, unless the extension developer continues to support older releases of Firefox, or supports Pale Moon directly. I was able to find working extensions for everything I needed, but it took some digging, and switching to alternate extensions in a few cases.

Vivaldi, on the other hand, is built off Chromium, but compared to something like Chrome, it has a lot more features and customization options, and its interface is in many ways similar to that of the old Opera, with optional sidebars and so on. There are certainly some differences, but out of the box it has the most "Opera-like" interface of any of the current browsers I know of. It's also headed by Opera Software's co-founder/former CEO, who left the company some of years back. Vivaldi just had its 1.0 release last year, so it's still doesn't do everything classic Opera did, but it's a lot closer to that than the current "Opera" browser.

Looks like the Apple iWatch interface... which actually works for THAT device but I just don't get the balls all over the place.

I could see perhaps SQUARES that change content like they can in the W10 Start Menu. THAT I think would work. I could right-click and select "TURN LIVE TILE ON" and have the latest articles scroll just like the NEWS app does.

But BALLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.